1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

So I broke my first lens...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by StringCheese, Oct 3, 2008.

1. StringCheese

StringCheese

Jun 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Now before a bunch of you freak out that it was an uber-expensive lens, it was just a 55-200mm VR, but on my meager high school budget it is a killer blow.

Turns out turf gets fairly slippery when its wet, and you need some grippy shoes. I know that now.

I'm not exactly sure of the severity of the damage, but I do realize I need to send it in to Nikon. This was a bad time to realize I never sent the warranty card in, and I'm not even sure if that would help me, how screwed am I?

Pic of the damage:
    2910116769_ca5c316f70.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Would I be better off just saving up and trying to find another one or a 70-300mm VR used on here? or do I try and get this fixed?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  2. I can't see the pic, but Nikon won't repair an "abused" lens under warrantee

3. Nikon will repair damaged lenses, but it's referred to as 'impact damage' and you have to pay for it.

I'd just use that money and try and get a 70-300 VR if I were you. I remember paying about $112 for my old damaged 18-70.

4. gunfighter48

gunfighter48 Guest

I've seen these lenses selling for $90 to $180 on different for sale boards. Check the classifieds at photo.net and nikonians.com, also craigslist.com. I sold mine about a month ago for $140. Probably cheaper to buy a used one than get that one repaired. Be aware that the Nikon warranty does not transfer to a new owner when you buy a used lens.

5. JasonL

JasonL

Sep 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    fix

Hey buddy, try and contact www.keh.com. They have a repair dept and seem cheeper than anyone else. My uess is that it will not be cost effective to repair that one. I bet you can fetch like $50 for it on ebay though......

6. Well, i see that UV filter didn't protect your lens enough. It must be defective :wink:

7. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    :rolleyes: 

To the OP, that can be quite a blow when on a budget. I would do what the others are suggesting and find one used. I think adorama has them fairly cheap and you can find them from time to time here on the cafe in the FS section.

8. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    hi--

a similar question was posted here by someone not too long ago. I would check with your parents to see if they have a rider on their household insurance that covers such damage, you never know. If that doesn't produce anything, you might look into finding one on here for an affordable price. This is a very safe place to buy used equipment and after the horror stories I've heard on other sites, I would be inclined to only buy used equipment from NikonCafe. My bias, but it's better to be safe than sorry. You'll have to post a few more messages for access to the For Sale forum, but you can manage that, I'm sure!

Otherwise, it says you're in Virginia, but I'm not sure where. if it is the DC area, strauss photo technical is an excellent repair shop, however they charge a $29 diagnostic fee, which will be applied toward the total repair if you accept their estimate. it is in a *very bad* neighborhood though, so if you go, go with your car so you can drop off the lens and leave immediately. don't do what I did and take the BUS because the bus stops exactly in front of it, but to go back, you kinda have to wait for 20 minutes in front of a crack house... (no joke). the scariest 20 minutes of my life, and i'm not easily rattled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.