So I invited GQ to my backyard...

...and what do you know, they showed up! With model and all. Lucky me, since I've hardly ever shot a guy in my life! So go gentle on me, how did I do?

Tokina at 50mm f2.8 1/200 iso400 flash left

p722531904-5.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think you did well. I really like the side light. The only negative standout to me is the tiny bit of tree sticking out of the top of his head (you could easily clone that out). Some might mention the cutoff at the wrist, but it doesn't bother me in this shot.

Thank you thank you..... edited the tree out of his head, good catch. haha

Magazine? naw...I just let it go viral. ;)

Let me know if there's anything else you would change, regarding the edit as well.

Very nice image but I'd also clone out the honking big white earring he's wearing on his camera-right ear. :wink: Also, if he's leaning against a post, make sure the post is vertically straight in the final shot (I know, nit-pik but important). He looks like he was easy to work with.

hahaha..I was like what earring! But I see what you mean..

I cropped it to be straight but preferred this version, not sure why but it was more visually pleasing or interesting.

He's a pain in the arse sometimes, and worked for dinner and he needed a new picture for his online stuff. hahaha That's Mr Z ;)

I took the pic in our ditch behind our house, and it's a crazy slant there and I had thorny bushes ripping at my legs, it was a terrible place but so convenient. haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice image but I'd also clone out the honking big white earring he's wearing on his camera-right ear. :wink: Also, if he's leaning against a post, make sure the post is vertically straight in the final shot (I know, nit-pik but important). He looks like he was easy to work with.

Agree about the light globe on the ear. Right forehead seems a bit hot. Really nice.

Rich

I like everything about the composition. The ear ring comment is funny, but true.

The only thing that grabs me is the light ratio right to left is pretty huge. Looks like 2 stops or more. Now for me to say that is kinda funny as I tend to like high contrast strong lighting ratios, but in this case his shaded eye is too dark. A touch of fill would do it, not too much and loose the effect, just a touch.

Sometimes you can get them turned just right where the main light hits the shadow side eye but leaves the cheek and socket area dark, pretty cool effect if you manage it.

One last thing. I dig the crooked post he's leaning on.

Thanks and I appreciate the comment! I should post the original, that'd crack you up.

The light is very even and rather "boring" so it's all an editing issue but I wanted it to be over the top but it might been a bit too much. Thank you for telling me, as it's hard to judge on one monitor from another!

Next time I'll make sure to take out the lamps, at first I thought it might bring something to the pic but I think that was a fail. haha

Yeah crooked post looked better than straight, I'm all about breaking rules if it looks more interesting :)

p819724668-4.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think it looks great. The only thing I don't like (cause I'm weird)...is the flare coming out of his ear. Other than that...he's a cutie. Who is he?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom