So I just had a new lens binge.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Arizona_Steve, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Well, I'd been meaning to do this for the better part of a year, and had earmarked my (substantial) tax return check for lens upgrades, but I moved to Arizona in January (from Colorado) and decided that the money was best used to keep me afloat while I had both a mortgage and an apartment to run.

So the house was sold last month, and I have no intention of buying one here as prices (and mortgages) are ridiculous compared to renting.

I made a fatal mistake on Saturday. I went into my local photo shop armed with my D70 and tried out a 70-200mm VR. It was love at first sight. I was struck by the vast difference in construction between the professional Nikkor glass and the consumer stuff. The VR is absolutely amazing and will help me immensely.

So this afternoon, and after some lengthy consideration of my photography habits and cash burning a hole in my pocket, I went ahead and ordered the following which will complement my Tokina 12-24mm (maybe Bjorn should review this one, as it's said to be as good as the Nikkor, optically).

10.5mm Fisheye
    28-70mm "Beast"
    70-200mm VR
    1.7x Teleconvertor

OK, I admit that the fisheye is purely for fun and nothing else. Amazingly SWMBO had no problems with this expenditure, maybe she's waiting for me to ditch my D70 in favor of the mythical D200.

Now all I need is a decent Macro, but Nikon hasn't got around to upgrading any of them with VR/AF-S yet.

So am I the only one who has fallen victim to LLD lately? Is there a 12-step program available?

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Steve :

Welcome to the Cafe !!!

As for your case of LLD, you now need only get the 200-400mm AFS/VR for a complete meltdown. :eek: :biggrin: :Whistle:

LLD only goes into remission, I'm sorry to tell you. I've been in remission since the acquisition of a 58mm f/1.2 Noct, but every so often, I see something else that piques my curiosity...

... but I've been staying away from the stores for a bit, just in case.

John P.

3. Ahh yes. The 200-400mm VR. I forgot about that one when ordering. Fortunately :smile:

Now it'll be appearing in my dreams... beckoning... calling my name...

4. ero2

ero2 Guest

just make sure you don't sleepwalk...otherwise you'll wake up with one, one day. That's how I told my girlfriend I got the beast :)

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nice choice of glass :biggrin:

I wouldn't worry about AFS and VR on a macro lens though.

6. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    You may find yourself sitting in a circle of people you don't know and hear as if in a dream "Hi, I'm Steve"...............'HI STEVE'............."I have Lens Lust Disease" then notice the shameful nodding of heads; lowered eyes, glassy expressions.

Words like focus, glass, precision, SWM are enough to start a nervous tic.

But don't worry, you are not alone, and judging by some folks collections you are not even near being a basket case. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

7. No - more of a backpack case :biggrin:

Enjoy your new found optics.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah - you've only bought three and a half lenses! What's up with that - inorder to qualify for true lens binging you've got to sell your house ... Oh, nevermind. :wink:

Hey Steve, what's your favorite AZ phototography store? I'm starting to love Tempe Camera. Seems they (almost) always have what I want in stock!

9. Tempe Camera - that's where I was Saturday. Great place, bad for the wallet though, as I found out. I feel bad not supporting my local photo dealers, but there is a difference of several hundred dollars involved, and that's before considering sales tax.

Thank goodness they don't keep the 200-400VR in stock.

There's also another good place on McDowell near the 51 freeway, forget what the name is though.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's called Photomark. There used to be another great store here too, Guild Camera, which is where I bought my D100, 35mm, 12-24mm, 60mm and 400mm. I spent probably $200 more on all of that than I would have by getting it over the net. However I was glad when I took my original D100 back after a month and a half. They just said "Sure, here's another one." without blinking an eye. Turns out the first one was ok, I had just noticed the 'amplifier light' on a long ISO 1600 nite shot without NR. I thought it was broken, but subsequently found out they all do that.

I doubt a distant store would have been so compliant. Thanks for supporting the locals!

11. Actually, I didn't support the locals (ordered my stuff from California), even though I would've liked to. Without wanting to get into a political rant, I simply cannot abide giving a single cent to this government if I can avoid it.

It's on its way now. I'll be out shooting all weekend if it get here by then.

12. New Toys

They arrived. Picture taken by the long-suffering Ms_Arizona_Steve.

[​IMG]

Now I'm off to take some pictures...

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Boy aren't those boxes pretty...!!!!!

lololol

14. LOL, they sure are. Ran off some quick snapshots to make sure everything works OK, then spent a seemingly endless amount of time filling out rebate and warrenty forms. Hand hurts too much now to take pictures.

Now I see why the 28-70 f/2.8 is called "The Beast". That thing is a monster!

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lol you wanted a beast...you got a beats. :>))

Enjoy and share with us lots of shots.

Hey that 70-200 VR is the dream lens.. Cherish that forever :>)))

I had to sell mine :<))))

Another day.