So I took my D60 the the beach this weekend...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by sam821, Jul 8, 2008.

1. I new it would be a "risk" to take my D60 (which is only a few weeks old) to the beach but at the time I didn't feel it would be too much of a problem...

Boy was I wrong! I tried to stick with one lens on the camera while I was out in the sand, but found that I needed to switch out a few times. I took my 18-55mm, 55-200mm and my 50mm.

Bottom line, is I notice that I now have dust particles on the mirrors/sensors. There are about 4 spots on the photos I take. I did the whole f/22 looking at the sky photo and its very apparent. God only knows what other dust there is in all the nooks and crannies of the body.

Any suggestions as to what I should do to check/clean the body and lenses? Is this something I can do on my own???

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. You could try to blow the sand off with an air blower, but I would take it to a shop and ask for a cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  3. it was fine to take it there
    but, never change lenses in that environment... unless you have some kind of hood or shroud to under which you can hide while that change occurs

so....
    where are the pictures?

4. I brought a D40 to Aruba a year or so ago and got some sand on the sensor. I didn't notice it while I was there, it wasn't until I got home and really scrutinized my pictures that I saw the spots. However when I started taking pictures again it seemed to have fallen off itself.

Give it some time it may come off itself, especially with the D60's sensor cleaner. You could try to blow it off yourself or just bring it to a shop like was said.

5. Thanks for the response! I have left taking it to the shop as a last alternative... Some guy at my office gave me some cleaning wipes that he uses for his canon, I will try those out today...

Yes... I came to a similar solution, I shouldn't have taken the lenses off on the beach. I tried to be careful, but damn... my sensor was like a dust/sand magnet! As far as the photos, stay tuned. I will be posting some up tonight!

I tried to blow the sand off myself, but was not successful. I thought about that too as far as the self cleaner... Its not doing its job as of yet. Perhaps I will give it a couple more days since I don't have to take it anywhere important and I'll see whats happens.

Thanks... I will definitely look into it...

6. On the flip side, I did get some very nice photos. Would I say it was worth it?? We if it ends up costing me $$$ then I will definitely be taking my point & shoot next time. But I will post some photos tonight to see what you think!

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Whoa...this is why I always tell my friends to never take an expensive camera to the beach. Too much sand flying in the air...even sand you can't see. I say call Nikon...and send it in for a good cleaning. Be sure and tell them what you did so they can know what to look for.

I had a friend offer me $xxx amount of dollars to take images of her and her soon to be husband (engagement pictures) in Galveston, TX. I said "Nope". I just said "I don't do beaches". Most people do...but I won't take that chance.

8. mi2ark

mi2ark Guest

Another good reason for the 18-200vr

This is where the 18-200 vr excels above all else. No need to change lenses!!!!

(especially outside at a beach in good light). As dusk approaches, you may have some issues, but there is no need to switch between the 18-55 and the 55-200.

It's a great lens for that application...

9. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I agree with Mike...........having the 18-200mm vr would have helped. It's an excellent all around lens to have. When traveling I have this lens attached to my camera.

10. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    A little blower bulb is all I've ever needed in over 20,000 shots on my D80. I just took mine to the beach too and now I have some crud that I can see at f/11 and smaller apertures. At f/8 and larger though it's practically invisible. I haven't even bothered to try to blow it out again and see if it's gone since now I'm back to my indoor shooting where I'm never at an aperture much smaller than f/4. I'm probably going to send mine back to Nikon for a general servicing and cleaning in short order though. It's about time and needs some love, and some hot pixels re-mapped too. I had to clone out some hotties on a dozen or so shots tonight and I was only at ISO 400. :frown:

11. Yes, I have plans to invest in the 18-200mm eventually. It hurts to have to already clean my camera body.

So as an update, I tried to cloths that my buddy at work gave me and it was unsuccessful. I will now have to find a local store to clean up my mess. I will try to hold out as long as possible until another option reveals itself.

12. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I have taken my cameras to the beach... but as stated earlier I don't change lenses there.

I have the 18-200 and it stays on the body at all times. I don't even bring other lenses.

I am going to the beach Friday and the D2XS will be with me for sure. :biggrin:

13. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I have taken my cameras to the beach many times. Wind and salt mist are your enemies. Weather sealed cameras will fair better. Salt mist will deposit salt on everything, which can then corrode some metal parts inside the camera. It also gets sticky as it dries and can cause some moving parts to function poorly. The wind will pick up sand and force it into any little crevice it can find. That includes around focus and zoom rings, around lens mounts, under knobs, around buttons, through battery and CF compartment doors, etc. It can literally get everywhere. The finer the sand, the more places it can get.

If you must change lenses while out on the beach, get people to stand tightly around you to block the wind, and face yourself downwind so your own body is a wind break. Also stand away from the edge of the water. Salt mist from breaking waves will be picked up by wind and get inside the camera mirror box and rear of the lens. I have had success in changing lenses without picking up specks on the camera sensor, but care and precaution must be taken. You should also be prepared to clean every piece of equipment every night after you shoot on the beach.

14. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    I had this problem with my D50 also after letting my Sister and Mom take it to the Oregon Coast. I finally bought a Delkin Devices Sensor Scope cleaning kit, rather expensive but it works great. Has a little vacuum and some sensor whips in it.

15. thanks for all your comments! Well another update... after the wipes I used were unsuccessful, I went online and purchased the 7" rocket blower. It should arrive in 4-6 days. As soon as I get it I will let you know if it is a success.

Has anyone tried this and had success cleaning the sensor?

16. A rocket blower will not help if the wipes were unsuccessful, unless you did not use the wipes correctly. The proper order to do this is the opposite - you try the blower first, then the wipes as a last resort. Hopefully you did not scratch your low-pass filter by trying a clean before blowing off loose particles.

If the blower does not work, try the wet clean again, with a bit more methanol (or Eclipse) than the recommended 2-3 drops. However, avoid the temptation to "go wet", you could damage the circuitry around the sensor if you get moisture down there.

17. The wipes I used were not wet... they looked like napkins (light green color) and did not leave residue. I delicately grazed the surface of the mirror to try and remove any particles... but I didn't want to force anything, so I gave up.

Maybe I was doing something wrong. I will try the rocket blower before getting more into wiping.

18. Cleaning the mirror won't get your sensor clean. You need to flip the mirror up first. Or did I get you wrong?

19. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Where are these photos?