So I upgraded to CS5 and...

I was under the impression that it would turn m copy of CS3 into CS5. However, I now seem to have two fully functioning versions of photoshop. Is this normal? I have never upgraded before as I have waited until my software was so old it was no longer upgradeable. I also had to go and download all my plug ins again (Dfine, noiseware, topaz, etc). Is this normal? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Oh, and it looks like I will have to go and get all my cool brushes again. Hmmm...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Yes, Adobe installs a new, full version each time. After you have verified that the new version is fully functional, you canun-install the older version is you wish.

Just make sure that you have moved any "customized" things (brushes, actions, filters, etc.) to their proper location in the new version.

Another question. had to reinstall my Perfect Resize and it is not visible anywhere. Why is this so hard? I am sure glad I still have CS3. Starting to regret this upgrade already.

Thanks. I did find it after searching topics on line. I am not sure I am liking the new interface of CS5. CS3 seemed to "flow" better. I am sure I will get used to it in time though.

Real Name
Randy
i just upgraded to cs5 from cs2 and i know what you mean on the UI
same story with LR3 (I just updated from LR2)

change in s/w is not good but it will get better

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Hang in there.....CS5 is really nice! Especially the improvements in Bridge, noise reduction in ACR and many other features. I had CS3 on my laptop and CS5 on my desktop. After using CS5 for a while, I couldn't wait to get rid of CS3....

Just ask when you're having a problem!

Hang in there.....CS5 is really nice! Especially the improvements in Bridge, noise reduction in ACR and many other features. I had CS3 on my laptop and CS5 on my desktop. After using CS5 for a while, I couldn't wait to get rid of CS3....

Just ask when you're having a problem!

You probably right. I don't use photoshop as an editor as my main editor is NX2. What I do use photoshop for is layer work, masking, cloning, etc. From what I have seen on the net, CS5 has many improvements over CS3 so I decided to make the switch. I never went to CS4 because I felt that the changes didn't warrant an upgrade. I'll be sure to post any questions here as I go along. I appreciate the help thus far.

You need to save duplicate actions, scripts, custom brushes, and anything else special in the documents section of your computer in a special photoshop folder.

Copy them from CS3 location to doc and then copy again to the proper place in CS5.

When they reside only inside PS, there is always a problem when upgrading. Be sure to back up the PS folder also.

Latest threads

Top Bottom