so, I was driving down the road

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Oct 19, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

I was shooting in the Wetlands this morning. I got a late start so I had to skip breakfast. It was fairly quiet and I met these two Canon shooters who I've seen a few times. They were very excited because two eagles had just flown over and they were staking out their spot in anticipation of their return. They invited me to hang with them I declined and said I was going to bop down to MickyDs for a fast breakfast. They said I wasn't going to shoot any eagles at the Golden Arches. Then one said since I was shooting with a Nikon it really made no difference. That hurt. I wished them well and headed out to get me some breakast.

and as I said I was driving down the road when I saw a vulture chowing down on some roadkill. Then the "vulture" lifted its white head. White head!!!!. Thats no vulture! That's a

[​IMG]

Well that late armadillo had attracted 5 eagles so I came to a rather sudden stop and started shooting with my newly repaired D2h

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got back to the wetlands and found my Canon pals and told them about the eagles, Never saw two guys pack their gear and move so fast. I finished shooting and was headed out and I saw my pals again and I asked how thye made out. They reported that the eagles had left by the time they got there. I felt bad for them. So I headed home and as I said before I was driving down the road when I saw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

life is good :biggrin:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harry, next time you go to MacDac, make sure that I'm with you. :rolleyes:

Outstanding Eagle shots!! :wink:

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Hell I drive down the road and I see wendys bags, leaves a dead squriell and a half eaten hotdog!
    Nice shots I need to come down...but I dont think it will be this week.

5. Now that's a good case of poetic justice if I ever saw it... :smile:

Neat story and pictures, Harry. Unusual, too. I've never heard of eagles eating roadkill like that!

Thanks for posting.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I have a great idea.... :biggrin: :biggrin:

We could have those C guys lay real still next to The Tree next time we are all down there, and see if the Eagles come. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Great story Harry and lovely images, I especially like #2.
    "Armadillo to go" :eek:

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    What! You are going to leave your jar of peanuts! :eek:

Thanks Frank.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I hope you were polite enough to show them your ugly-good-for-nothing Nikon images on your lcd! Gads, I never put down anyone for their choice of camera, even the loudmouth at the camera club who bought all new Can*n gear because that's what John Shaw used........
    Great opportunity, you did well.

10. Ummm, Frank, I don't think that would be such a good idea. Don't want to go spoiling the good earth by THE TREE, now, would we? :rolleyes:

Harry! Fantastic shots! I would've run back to them and showed them the images on the lcd. Hope it wasn't our friend, Jim...he seemed too nice a guy to act like that!

Was hoping to squeeze a few hours this Sat @ Viera but will have to watch Wilma.

11. Great story to go with your pictures. It looks like another great day and too bad for your friends on the "other side". Any time you can get that many eagles in one place is pretty awesome. While we have plenty of eagles here in th PNW, I have never seen them eating in the middle of the road :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Mike,

You have just been driving down the wrong roads. :wink: Those sound like Jersey roads to me.

You don't want to be down here this week with Wilma acting up. :eek:

13. guess the eagles prefer Nikon to Canon.... :biggrin:

nice shots!

14. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Awesome shots, Harry! (how did you train them to follow you around like that and have them sit still to pose??? :wink: )

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey David,

Their day just didn't work out. :biggrin: I've never seen eagles at a roadside before. I've seen them perching on poles but I've never seen them with roadkill before. Its a shame that there's more traffic on the road now because I lost a lot of shots due to passing cars.

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Nah, the eagles can handle roadkill but those white lenses, never.

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Rob. Glad you enjoyed it.

18. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Nah, we kid each other about our equipment and usually its in good fun. They felt bad enough. First they waited at the wrong spot and then they got to where the eagles had been but had left. Then they left that spot before the eagles came back.

There was nothing that I could have done than was any worse than what they did to themselves. :biggrin: