1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

So i'm in texas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ilockert, Sep 11, 2008.

1. So i was deployed to Texas on 9/9/08 for Hurricane Ika. This has to be a very interesting experience in the least we drove 12 hours to arrive at Kelly AFB in San Antonio Checked in grab a bite to eat and then off to sleep It was around noon at that time. took a 2 hour cat nap and now back on the road driving to Victoria Texas to help clean out hospital and get them out of harms way. which that was about another 2 hour drive just to sit and wait for hours to get our patient( which isn't bad considering there trying to coordinate well over 300 ambulance and several different hospital in the entire state.) So this whole time I'm of course taking pictures and video. I'll post them on here once I know i can have the time to post the better ones, but if you were every curious as the what goes on behind the scene when a major storm is about to hit have a look on my myspace page I try to upload every chance we stop so everyone back home will see whats going on as well.

Would I ever do this again...In a split second I would be on my way back. I know a lot of these guys came to mississippi and helped us during Katrina.
    so if your bored or curious have a look.
    http://www.myspace.com/ilockert

2. Glad you posted...
    Looks like lots of help...
    Be wise and be safe...in His hands...with every turn
    of your wheels!

3. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Stay safe!

4. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Will be thinking of you all, stay safe!

5. Bellanova

Bellanova

Sep 9, 2008
    Houston
    Well, i am wishing all my fellow coastal Texans the very best. I live only 66 miles from the coast, and i know we will be feeling the majority of the effect of this storm.

If anyone wants to keep close track of it you can do so by going to the following site.

http://www.stormpulse.com

Time to crank up those Hurricane Parties!!!!
    Hey, what can i do, worry about it? Nah, too much stress involved with that. So i look at the bright side of it. Try not to worry, and just enjoy the ride.

Roads here right outside my job i can see BW8, it's already a parking lot. It's moving, but only at about 1 to 2 miles per hour. So, i live 41 miles from where i work. I figure it is going to take me about 5 to 8 hours to get home. So i am staying put for now.

6. I'm 15 miles from my home at the office. I know some back roads to get me there but I still have to get North of I-10... Gotta start boarding up today for the screw-ons and can do the slip-ins with the hurricane clips tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone...

7. Be careful down there and thanks for your service. I have family in Victoria as well as Baytown. Right now the track has Ike making landfall somewhere in between the 2. I'm near Dallas and we're even expecting tropical storm conditions here when it passes through even though we're nearly 400 miles inland.

Look forward to seeing your shots when things calm down for you. :smile:

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    As a proud Texan I tip my baseball cap to you...thank you for all your hard work.

Now just keep us people near Galveston in your T&P's. I'm actually about 60 miles from Galveston. Am I worried yes...I have one wall in my home that is entire glass (window) - seriously from ceiling to floor.

9. Well if your out and about honk and wave...I will probably have my camera hanging out the window.

10. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Ok, all you Texans: Stay Safe! Sorry you're taking one for the team.

11. Ivan, Thanks for coming over to help us out. There lots of people in South Texas that could not manage without assistance.

12. We are in Houston now at Darrell Tully Stadium awaiting another mission.

Were here to help Texas was there for us when we had Katrina its only right to be here.

13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Great attitude Ivan...wish I could meet you...but Tully stadium is not close to me. Nonetheless thank you for what you do! Houston does need you right now. :wink:

14. We are in Webster Tx. about to evac a hospital here and take north about 100 miles are so.

My attitude about this is going to stay on the up and up I remember Katrina all to well and I know what people are about about to go through and I want to do all I can to help in there time of need.

15. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Ivan,
    Very grateful that you are helping and with a positive attitude too.

All of you in the hurricane areas are in our prayers, try to stay safe and keep us posted so we know your status.

16. Snake

Snake

Dec 19, 2005
    Central Alabama
    I was born in and lived in Victoria until I was 18 and sat through Hurricane Carla there. Wouldn't want to do it again. I still have friends and loved ones there. My advice is get out while you can. None of your "stuff" is worth your lives.
    My son is in charge of four counties of Paramedics around the Waco area and they have been helping evac patients out of Victoria and others places along the coast.
    My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Stay safe.

17. All is still well with my group. I have got to pleasures of seeing a whole lot of Texas. I have to say this state is a lot nicer landscape wise then I ever thought.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.