So...is it required to have a plan in life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Apr 2, 2007.

1. I'm just wondering, because I realize I don't have one. I'm not struggling or anything, just feel like I'm at a crossroad. Any words of advice from those who are older and wiser than I? Did any of you face this dilemma in your late 20s? In fact many of my late 20-something friends are facing similar dilemmas, so I know it's just not me.

PS - I was watching the movie 'Fight Club' last night and thought it might be refreshing to slug it out in a bar basement!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  2. No plan is required but I think, in my own case, that it would have helped.

3. Not required, but how else would you know whether your goals are being achieved, if you don't have any stated goals?... In other words, how do you know if you have arrived when you don't know where you're going? For some the answer, is "you just know", and that's fine. Others may need some markers along the path that say "go this way"... I don't think that a single answer is valid for everyone. That said, good luck in your life journey.

4. macroach

macroach

Jul 19, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    If you are comfortable and successful, than your lack of a plan must have worked, provided "comfortable" entails some level of happiness.

I had a plan, but got sidetracked (by a woman) and ended up going with plan B. It has left me comfortable and successful, but also wistful about what might have been had I stayed with plan A. Sometimes I think I might have been happier.

5. Jonathan, a plan is a nothing without planning! Short or long, planning will provide guidance, it's like the "connect the dots" game. We live in a very competitive society and if you don't want to blame yourself for not "connecting the dots" you better start planning. The plan is just the big picture.

6. I know I should plan for my future, but plan for what? I don't see any pressing need to get married, nor do I see a need to have children anytime soon. I figure I'm a guy and can have kids when I'm fifty!

I was thinking of doing some hardcore travelling this year. A backpack, a camera, and a passport. Maybe that will put things into perspective!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    PLAN FOR YOUR RETIREMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That my dear, is the goal. Then you go play

8. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    Stop a second, close your eyes. Put a picture in your mind of yourself 10 years from now. Where are you? What are you doing? Who are you with? Now do the same thing, but make the picture 25 years from now.

Make a plan to get to those pictures.

DAB

9. Now, THAT is a plan.:cool:

I never had a plan. Probably should have, but I never did. I still don't. Oh, there are things I have to look at now because of my age, but overall, I'm doing what I want to do and I never look too far into the future. You only get to go on the ride once. So enjoy it while you can, Jonathan.

10. If you do so, you know where I live dude and you're always welcomed :smile:

Why not join the European GetTogether at Nice, France in September?

Otherwise, in August, I'll be most probably having a few exotic days in SF :wink:

11. A very basic plan helps if you're prone to straying willy nilly in life. One thing that is constant in life is change. Life evolves, throws curve balls at you every once in a while to keep you on your toes. Ever since my late teens and early 20's, I've always had the "rainy day nest egg". Always have something to fall back on should a burp or hiccup happen along the way. It will give you the freedom to make spontaneous decisions/purchases, it will give you the freedom to travel at the drop of a hat (ALWAYS have a valid passport - I learned that one early! :wink:)
    It allowed me to take five months off work last year and just veg out, paddling in my kayak and shooting every day. My soul needed it and it was time.
    A few words of wisdom: travel now while it's easy for you (no dependants), and DON'T wait until you're 50 to have kids - they're a lot of work and you'll need some stamina. Don't get married 'til you're at least 30 and then wait a good while before starting a family. Take it in stages.

The wanderlust spirit in me wants to cash in everything, sell the house, the investments, everything, put $50K into the bank so I don't have to eat cat food later, and just keep traveling with my camera until the money runs out. It would be one superb ride! :biggrin: Some days I'm so tempted..... :Shocked:

12. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Since you asked the question, there is obviously an issue. As a retiree, your question is no less pertinent for me. IMHO, having a direction in mind is better than setting hard and fast goals or just floating through life. My best feeling is one of accomplishment, so I choose to spend a good deal of my time doing things creative, like taking pictures and writing. I couple creativity with leasure by taking sailing and travel pictures. An active mind is a terrible thing to waste. It atrofies just like unused muscles and leads to early dementia.

13. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Howard said what I was going to say. Pick a direction. If your plan is too detailed, you miss opportunities. Leave yourself some freedom to explore the unexpected opportunity. It could be an interesting job you never thought you'd take, or an opportunity to travel somewhere you never expected to go.

However, don't forget Gale's advice to plan for retirement. Perhaps prepare is a better word than plan. Otherwise, you may end up bagging groceries well into your old age.

14. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Let me see.....in my late 20's I was working seasonal jobs to make enough money to travel to take photos. In my early 30's I was still traveling taking photos, but then I was working as a freelance contract photographer for National Geographic. In my mid-thirties I started working on books of my own. I got married when I was 37. We didn't have kids. Now, I'm still traveling, taking photos.....no real plan in life, just doing what I like, having fun, and miraculously, making a good income doing it!

15. Work hard and make a lot of money so you can buy very expensive toys. You know, he/she who dies with the most gadgets … wins! :eek:

Seriously, the journey should be worthwhile; it doesn’t matter too much where you finally arrive.

Just be a good person and enjoy living, it only happens once.

Regards,

Eduardo.

16. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    I have no real plan. The world is made up of many of us "drifters". I've enjoyed the ride, so far, but sometimes its nice to know where you are on that ride.

Philippe nails it and so does Gale, PLAN for Retirement. If you want to see the consequences of not planning for retirement, pop round the nearest Wal-Mart. The greeters are generally old and without the means to fully quit. This can be the fate of the unprepared. Not a dig at Wally, just a warning.

I guess Rick nails it, too. No plan is a plan just like making no decision is a decision. The choice is made, now its time for the consequences.

17. Sandi, you're my dream girl :biggrin: Six years ago I almost follow the same spirit ...:rolleyes:

18. I do not think that a detailed plan may work out as you wish but broad goals are useful.

One thing one can be certain of is old age will come and social security may not be available when you retire.

Put money away now when you are young in a Roth or mutual fund and maximize the matching in a 401K if it is available. As Einstein said, compounding is one of the greatest mysteries in the Universe. Ten years of contribution in your twenties /early thirties gives better returns than 25 years of contribution started when you are 45.

Enjoy the rest of income in traveling, hobbies etc. But pay yourself first. Investment in retirement and education are the two things that give you maximum returns later in life.

Ravi

19. Sandi, I'll fight with Panos any day for you :redface:

20. My wife, too... :biggrin:... Am joking... last time I checked (last night) there was none around :cool:

...but tomorrow... :wink: