So Long 300, My Friend

Real Name
Dan
I finally bit the bullet and sold my trusty D300 a few days ago. Had to come to terms with the fact it was just collecting dust and losing market value every day. So I finally sold it for just less than half of what a D7100 cost me. Cost of ownership turned out to be about 4.5 cents per frame. It was valuable to the very end as I'm thrilled to death with the 7100 which I likely wouldn't have bought without the sale of the 300.

The D300 is the only camera that I had an irrational attachment to. Probably because I was shooting it when I finally started to produce some truly high quality images. No doubt it had less to do with the camera body and more to do with personal development and getting some really good glass (e.g. 200-400 VR). Still, it was a tough day... :325:

Dan -

Thanks for this. I'm glad that your new D7100 is a worthy successor to the D300, although I continue to have an "irrational attachment" to mine.

I continue to enjoy its frame and focusing rates, build quality and the fact that it just works, especially when I'm trying to shoot little creatures in decent light.

Real Name
Dan
I have to say what is most surprising about the D7100 isn't the IQ but rather the focus module. One expects the sensors and image processing to improve but it matches or surpasses the D300 in focus accuracy, speed, and tracking ability. And has the full compliment of 51 sensors which is insane in a DX format.

Real Name
Randy
I have to say what is most surprising about the D7100 isn't the IQ but rather the focus module. One expects the sensors and image processing to improve but it matches or surpasses the D300 in focus accuracy, speed, and tracking ability. And has the full compliment of 51 sensors which is insane in a DX format.

the AF is quite impressive, especially considering I paid $6K to get the same AF in my D4. What most amazes me is the pixel coverage, even more so when I use it in 1.3 Image Area that makes it a 2x crop body yielding 16mp files....too bad they left behind the greying out (thru the VF) of the cropped area but i suspect that's so they can add it back to the D400 along w/ a bigger buffer and more fps......i don't recall ever seeing such obvious dumb downs in prep for the next body but it coulda been worse, they coulda rented the cameras to us via the cloud:smile:

I am not going to get rid of my D300 even though I have just purchased a D800.

Reason D300 7/8 fps and D800 4fps, both better at individual jobs. D300 for action shots and D800 for stationary subjects. Seems sensible to me at least.

Bazza

Real Name
Dan
I thought the D300 had 51-pt AF.
It did indeed. The thing I liked most about the 300 was fast/accurate focus. So imagine the same or better focus speed/accuracy, ability too focus with f8 min. aperture rather than 5.6, at least one stop better ISO performanc, 24MP images, and 25 percent cheaper. Downside is smaller buffer, no fps boost when gripped, and non-pro style body.

I'm buying a D7100 in June and keeping my D300 as a second body. Shots I've seen with the 7100 look great... can't wait to get my 80-200 on it and see what I can get. I used the 7100 in store a bit last week and took some pics of moving cars outside the store, AF was great. I was considering a D600, but the 600's AF won't cut it for me when I can get better AF in a 7100 for cheaper. Too bad for Nikon made a worse AF in the 600 than a 7100... they just lost about $800 of my money in doing so.

I doubt we'll ever see the D400. Nikon touts the 7100 as it's DX flagship.

Real Name
Randy
Doc, per chance, is your 80-200 a screw-drive or the AF-S? I've not heard anyone comment on the focus motor capability of the new D7100 and that is still an area I need.

Thanks, Gary

it has one if that's what you are asking
how fast does it af an afd lens I don't know

Doc, per chance, is your 80-200 a screw-drive or the AF-S? I've not heard anyone comment on the focus motor capability of the new D7100 and that is still an area I need.

Thanks, Gary

Yes, mine is a screw-drive. As Randy said, it does have a screw drive motor. I tested in store with two AF-S lenses, so I can't comment on its AF performance with screw drive lenses. I'll post in a few weeks after I get it how it does. Perhaps someone else in the meantime on here will be able to comment on that as well...

I finally bit the bullet and sold my trusty D300 a few days ago. Had to come to terms with the fact it was just collecting dust and losing market value every day. So I finally sold it for just less than half of what a D7100 cost me. Cost of ownership turned out to be about 4.5 cents per frame. It was valuable to the very end as I'm thrilled to death with the 7100 which I likely wouldn't have bought without the sale of the 300.

The D300 is the only camera that I had an irrational attachment to. Probably because I was shooting it when I finally started to produce some truly high quality images. No doubt it had less to do with the camera body and more to do with personal development and getting some really good glass (e.g. 200-400 VR). Still, it was a tough day... :325:

I went the same thing two years ago when I sold the D300/grip, and for probably for the same reasons. The D7000 has better IQ but is just a tool.

Just recently I picked up a medium shutter click D300 and a used grip for relatively little money. I still love it ... but now can afford both, and the D300 will wipe the D7000 when it comes to shooting baseball this summer.

Might be a solution for you as well, given how discounted D200's are becoming Iand just imagine if a D400 does come out).

Real Name
Dan
No, I've moved on. Maybe if I relocate to Arizona or someplace but in Alaska, high ISO rules. And that is definately not the D300s realm. Many hours spent tweaking NR software on D300 images :frown: Still, several of my all time favorite shots were taken with that camera.... OMG! What have I done??? :325:

I thought the D300 had 51-pt AF.
Good luck with the new cam.

It does.

I am thinking about the D7100 perhaps after Christmas money comes in :biggrin: But I won't sell my D300. I still have my D50! I love my D300 and it would be great to have two good bodies to shoot with. I'm signed up for a photography workshop in the fall and on the list of things to bring it says, "camera body and a spare". So the D50 will be going as the spare to the D300. If anything (god forbid) happens to the D300, I could still shoot with the D50. I won my first photography contest with the D50, and as they say, "it's the person behind the camera, not the camera that takes the photographs".

Carole

Thanks, Gary

I have the 7100 and the 80-200 AF-D 2 ring. I am pleased with the AF speed. The 7100 shows the ages of the 80-200 design though, I see a lot of purple fringing when I crop in without correcting it in software.

Here's one from a few days ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mn_gudes/8895624148/

I am not going to get rid of my D300 even though I have just purchased a D800.

Reason D300 7/8 fps and D800 4fps, both better at individual jobs. D300 for action shots and D800 for stationary subjects. Seems sensible to me at least.

Bazza

Not a correct comparison:

D300 - 7/8 fps in 12 bit, but only 2.5 fps in 14 bit @ 12 MP DX

D800 - 5/6 fps in 14 bit @ 15.4 MP DX

I'll take 6 fps/14 bit/15.4 MP anytime over 8 fps/12 bit/12 MP! And the AF on the D800 is much better than the D300, too. The D800 is the better action camera by far!

Cheers

Mike

Not a correct comparison:

D300 - 7/8 fps in 12 bit, but only 2.5 fps in 14 bit @ 12 MP DX

D800 - 5/6 fps in 14 bit @ 15.4 MP DX

I'll take 6 fps/14 bit/15.4 MP anytime over 8 fps/12 bit/12 MP! And the AF on the D800 is much better than the D300, too. The D800 is the better action camera by far!

Cheers

Mike

Depends on who is behind the camera. When I go whale watching, I get almost every shot I want, and leave the others in the dust :biggrin:

Carole

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom