1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

So long to an old friend,

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Lutke, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Doug Lutke

Doug Lutke

Dec 30, 2006
    Michigan
    This bike took across the U.S. once plus thousands of miles all around Michigan. In the end,it was no match for an A.TT. truck. I spent a few hours in the E.R. last night, and thankfully nothing broken, but my ego. I'll be nursing some road rash and bruised shoulder for the next few days, while shopping for a new bike.

p773737442-4.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

[​IMG]

2. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Dec 26, 2010
    Annapolis
    Ouch! That sucks. I'm glad you are alright. I know it has been getting a bit more dangerous around here the last couple years with all the inattentive drivers we share the roads with.

3. Looks like a stress crack that was going to break sooner or later. Hope you get better soon!

4. nkon276

nkon276

Jun 9, 2009
    U.S.
    Yikes, glad you're ok, Doug...sad to see a bike in that condition, but bikes can be replaced. :smile:

5. sektor 11

sektor 11

Oct 12, 2010
    cincinnati
    what was the drivers excuse? just didn't see you? I believe he/she should be buying you a new bike!

6. Smiert Spionam

Smiert Spionam

Mar 11, 2010
    Texas
    Glad you're ok -- if the bike is the only significant injury, that's good news.

7. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Sadly, "Didn't see him" is considered a valid excuse in NJ traffic courts and usually lets the driver walk away without any charges. :mad: 

8. Holy cow!

Amazing that the bike broke like that and you are good to go. Good luck on the new bike search and keep us posted on what you go with.

9. As a cyclist who has done solo three week trips I feel your pain (no pun intended) Glad to hear you're ok, these things can be so much worse. Looks like the wheels and components came out alright. Use the insurance money to upgrade the frame and rebuild using all existing components and you'll come out ahead in this.

Keep us posted.

10. Good to hear your okay.I don't know what happened during the accident,but the crack looks strange to me. For what i remember from the few welding classes i had in my schooldays ,I know things never should break at the weld.Perhaps a idea to have a real expert in welding have a look at it for a possible warranty case?

11. takl23

takl23

Feb 28, 2010
    W. Newbury, MA
    Glad you're ok! I can see the frame breaking there with such a violent impact. I suggest getting a Pinarello :smile:

Tim

12. milano

milano

Dec 23, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Glad you're ok, it's getting dangerous out there and that's coming from a rider on the ever so dangerous street of so cal. We gotta be careful much like a motorcyclist, assume everyone is out to kill you! Take a look at Cervelos, I've always wanted one but I'm more a mountain guy.

13. Doug Lutke

Doug Lutke

Dec 30, 2006
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone for you concern and kind remarks. My right shoulder took most of the impact, and I spent most of the day with an ice bag on it. As many of you stated cycling is very dangerous, I don't think many drivers realize that we are traveling much faster then they think, and tend to make turns in front of us.

My bike is going back to Trek tomorrow, they have a program for owners who's bike is wrecked in an accident. They will sometimes provide a replacement frame at a substantial discount. Hopefully that works out, I hate being bike-less.

14. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Dec 26, 2010
    Annapolis
    Here in MD that excuse no longer can be used so easily. They passed a law to give more protection to cyclists involved in these types of incidents. This was after a college student sustained permanent brain damage from an accident involving a careless driver. I sure don't want to test the law to see if it works.

15. Bummer about your bike, glad to hear your basically OK... in the "been there, done that" category except the last time I was a little more hesitant to climb back on the bike.

On another note, I know of 2 people who've taken advantage of Trek's crash replacement program... they'll take care of you :smile:

16. Doug Lutke

Doug Lutke

Dec 30, 2006
    Michigan
    Back on the road again!

I wanted to put a lid on this post from last week. Trek really came through for me on this one. I had a truck/bicycle accident on June 6, I took my bike to the local dealer on the 7th. Trek overnighted a new frame to me for 1/3rd the cost of the retail. The local dealer switched all of the components to the new frame and I was back on the road again on June 10. Trek is a company who still values customer service!

p94162389-4.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

17. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Dec 26, 2010
    Annapolis
    Looks good! I'm glad you are back on the road again. Have fun and be extra careful.

18. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Lucky you. As a bicycle messenger around 1969 in San Francisco, I got knocked clear across an intersection by some idiot that just made a right turn directly into me when I was going straight. Screams emitted from the sidewalk. Seemed a little dramatic to me. The guy was a total jerk. Nothing happened to the bike, and I didn’t get a scratch. I was in very good physical condition in my early 20's, so I must have fell and rolled across the street just right to not get any scratches. We had a few choice words, and he got in his car and drove on.

Another time I was sitting at a red light when I got pushed off the bike by the right front fender of a cement truck as he was rolling to a stop. Good thing I got pushed off. The cement truck continued for a long enough of a time that he flattened the entire bike as flat as a pancake. That time, the dispatcher brought me a new bike, and I continued on.

19. Good for you, and I'm not surprise to read your story. Trek is an great company to deal with. Happy riding. :smile:

20. rpracing

rpracing

Mar 7, 2011
    S. WI
    Same thing usually applies to motorcyles also. Many times people say the biker had it coming for riding a "dangerous vehicle". :rolleyes:  Had a couple car turns left in front of motorcycle that resulted in a fatal for both riders and the driver didnt even get a ticket because "witnessess" said it sounded like the bike was speeding (both happened in 40mph zones).:mad: 

Good to see Trek taking care of you. If they didnt I could drive by their factory in Watertown and flip them off.:biggrin: (BTW I do it anyways since I didnt get the painters job when I applied years ago. Plus I prefer Specialized.:biggrin:.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.