So my insurance is sending me a check for my broken gear...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Yah! I'll get my check in 4 days. So now I can use my Amex and put down some serious spending at b&h photo! :lol:

Anyways, I'm almost thinking of not buying a D2H the second time around. I'm thinking of buying a D1X this time. You think I'm crazy? The reason I want a D1X is due to the better 800 ISO performance and the 125 ISO with low noise. I'll miss the 8fps, but the D1X seems a little bit more well rounded. Also, I already have an SB-80DX and I could spend the extra money on something else instead of replacing my SB-800. Maybe another lens, like the Tokina 12-24? :wink:

What do you guys think? Help me spend my money!

By the way this is what the money is replacing:

D2H body
    D70 body
    70-200 VR lens 8)
    SB-800 flash

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Can you swing a D2X? Looks to be the best of several worlds....

3. Unfortunately, due to the dumb insurance my agent issued me (I got general business insurance as opposed to actual camera insurance), I get capped at $5000. Kinda sucks. Anyways, I think I might use the money for the flash and swing a good camera backpack instead.

4. I need to get some insurance soon for my gear - what policy do you have and what does it cost you? What exactly does it cover? Is there a web site I can get more information?

Have fun spending that cash Jonathan!

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jonathan - Wish you could swing the D2X, but if you can't, I've certainly seen some great shots from the D1X. Still, it would be hard to give up the machine gun speed of the H.

Todd - I got mine through State Farm. They charge about $11 per $1K per year. I've seen several others that are using them. You definitely need to do something before your kit gets any bigger (i.e., the D2X). Just look what happened to Jonathan.... :?

Frank

6. Hey Todd,

You're in Portland, right? I'll be heading up next month, because I ain't doing squat in LA right now, so I figure might as well hang with the familia while I heal. :)

Anyways if you are interested in getting insurance, I go through American Family, in fact my policy is based in Oregon. They have a special insurance just for camera gear in fact. I paid like $250 to open the policy. As Flew said, with a D2X in your kit, that is like owning a used car. I would insure that gear quick!

7. Yup - I am out west in Beaverton. I wonder if AAA has a special policy for AV gear. I will check it out as I have most of my insurance through these guys. What does your policy cover? Theft? Acccidental Damage? What is the yearly cost after the $250 initial cost?

How long you gonna stay in Portland? You gonna have your gear before you come?

8. My policy covers theft, accidents...pretty much everything. I think it's $250 a year, but I think my insurance might cancel my policy though, since I made a claim within a year of opening it! :) :wink: Ain't my fault I got hit!

Anyways, I'll be in Portland around the first week of April. I'll be bringing my gear for sure! Never leave home without! I actually grew up around SE Portland. I was up last year for a couple months, bored out of my mind with nothing to shoot though...I shot a couple clubs though when I was there. Never, ever bring your gear around there though, came to visit once, and my gear was stolen within 2 hours of my visit. Really pissed me off. I think it was Russian mafia that did it too. :evil:

9. Nothing to shoot?!?! When I drive arouund east Portland or downtown Portland I am overwhelmed by the things I want to shoot - if only I had more lifetimes.

Where was your gear stolen from? Did they mug you and take it right off your person or was it in a car or something?

10. Yeah, I spent the whole summer shooting in Portland...but I'm more of a people photographer, and I'll admit I like shooting pretty people most of the time! :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it was in SE portland where I got robbed, they busted my window and took my old D100. Really ticked me off. It was Russian mafia for sure, I know it!

11. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    Hi JOnathan - can you give me some info on the insurance policy - thanks

stephanie :D

12. Jonathan,

Good to hear you are getting money back. You are going to make some camera shop owner very happy!! :) :) :) :) :)

13. Yeah, I'm ordering from B&H Photo and they are giving me a run around with my order. They're asking for shipping verification and all that. So my order won't be processed until Sunday! Anyways, I guess I shouldn't complain since it's probably in my best interest that they screen big orders. I would of bought locally, but no one but the big retailers have the D2H in stock.

14. Thats great! Must make it easy since there are people pretty much everywhere eh? I want to hear about some of the more unusual people you have photographed and if there was any sort of confrontation and what happened?

Damn - was the camera covered in the car or in plain site?

15. It was in my old SUV, and it was out of site...but these thieves did a sweep and broke into another car and my truck.