So the D40 is here but....

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by SP77, Jun 27, 2007.

1. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Somehow, somewhere, a big hunk of crap got lodged into the viewfinder optics and it doesn't seem to want to come out. I know it's not on the sensor because the pictures are crystal clear. I tried gently shaking it in different directions, and used the blower bulb in case it was on the mirror, but it doesn't seem to be. The thing is just not budging.

Any suggestions? I'd rather not send it back.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

2. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Well I tried everything and whatever this thing is is just not dislodging or coming off, so it looks like I'll be exchanging it for another one.

3. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

If you look up through the lens mount is it on the underside of the viewfinder screen ? If not it'll be inside the prism and therefore you should return it for a clean replacement.

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I thought I could see something on the viewfinder screen, but it wasn't on the underside of it so yeah, it's something on or inside the prism in the actual viewfinder optics. I could have sworn that it wasn't there when I first got the camera out, but it's there now and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Either way, there shouldn't be any loose bits floating around like this in a brand new camera.

I used $200 in Amazon gift cards to fund the purchase, so assuming I can get a FULL refund and not just $530-200 which they might keep as a credit, I'll probably just go down to the local non-Ritz shop (Penn Camera) and buy locally. They have it for $550.