So there's no accounting for taste!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, Sep 28, 2005.

1. I've had someone approach me to purchase some pics off my pbase site. He wants twelve 12"x18" pics and gave me his list. Imagine my surprise when he tops off the list with this "snap" of a mangy ol' barn cat, shadow in foreground.. nothing special.. but really! who'd want a 12x18 of this face!!!??? Oh well, his money is green so I really don't care what he wants on his walls!! *LOL*
    original.

2. Sandi, this is a really nice image and I can see why he might want it.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Sandi,

It is a great shot! Don't question, just sell!

Too bad it is not a dog!

Cheers,
    Robin

5. OK I'm obviously missing the whole point then because I'd never in a million years figure that this wd be a salable item. The only reason I took the pic was she's a great barn cat for her owners who are friends of mine, very un-touchable!!! but she is sweet if you stand your distance. All the other pics he chose to purchase are great landscapes but a mangy old moggie??!!! Go figure!

PS Monty: I totally agree and as a Corrie St fan, totally understand that yorkshire saying. I also used to be married to a scouser.

6. Sandi, it's just like what goes around in the portrait photogs' circles: those shots the photog thinks sucks and is reluctant to include in proofs are the very ones the client loves the best, while those technically perfect shots the photog thinks are the best are not chosen.

Never question the desires of the customer! :)

7. Kevin nailed it... it's a running joke among photographers who photograph people. There is 180 degree of separation between what Photographers and Clients like and there is NO accounting for their decision making process.

Woody

8. Thanks Kevin and Woody for that analogy. I think I'm going to take the profits from this pic and turn it into cat food for the city laneway cats this winter, that way I won't feel so guilty about making money from it!, and it'll help all the kitties without a home. *LOL* and I certainly won't go into portraiture photography!!

9. I could see someone wanting that on its photographic merit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it reminded someone of a cat they love(d).

10. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Sandi, you hit the nail on the head

Your customers money is GREEN! :)

I can tell you I've sold out of focus shots to customers because they absolutely wanted it regardless. It's all subjective and if it's something they want, I'll give it to them. I always point out though that it's not an optimal shot but more often then not, they don't mind.

Congrats on the big sale!

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm far more critical of my work than others. I've made poster prints from a small piece of a fine jpeg. Looked ugly to me. Worked 40+ hours to make drastic improvements, showed the client, he liked the original better. Go figure! Point is, if they are paying and they leave happy, you are a hero. As my signature says, "I may not know much about art, but I know what I like!"

12. Then you should know that Coronation Street (aka Corrie) is set in Lancashire not Yorkshire.

:tongue:

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

14. No problem, Paul.

I'm sure that Sandi - and you - know that I was only teasing.

Hence the :tongue:

:smile:

15. Amen to that! While in Tuscany I took carefully framed pictures of the famous edifices, statues, piazzas......you get the picture. However, while wandering with my wife in the back streets, I idlly photographed windows, gardens, doorways, alleys..again, you get the picture.

People who looked at my portfolios of our trip asked if they could please buy the images of the doorways, window boxes, gardens, etc. Go figure! All the Ron Reznick type shots (no offense meant Ron...I was carefully trying to ape your composing technique, etc.) of the ancient beautiful statues and inspirational Italian buildings notwithstanding, and what to they buy? Window boxes! But hey, it's all green, as we often say!

Rich

16. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Hmmm.... I don't know if I'd be poking fun at my clients' taste.

17. Clive, I was thinking more along the lines of the saying "nowt as queer as folk" being Yorkshire, not the Corrie series. Everyone knows that Corrie St is in Weatherfield!!! *LOL* Seriously, loved my jaunts through the English countryside. The driving was enough to scare ten years off my life, but the scenery more than made up for it.

Yes Gregory, you're right. I wasnt' really poking fun as much as scratching my head and trying to figure out WHY??? But as everyone else is pointing out, they've run into the same thing one way or another - just print it and sell it and don't question it!!

Thanks all for helping me solve this perplexing question. I guess that's what makes us all so different... makes the world go around. Different tastes, different views, different attitudes.

18. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Sandi, this reminds me of what the country music singer, George Jones, said about a song that he recorded once. For those that don't know the song or the lyrics..
    He Stopped Loving Her Today
    George Jones
    _______

He said "I'll love you till I die",
    she told him "You'll forget in time"
    As the years went slowly by,
    she still preyed upon his mind

He kept her picture on his wall,
    went half-crazy now and then
    He still loved her through it all,
    hoping she'd come back again

Kept some letters by his bed
    dated nineteen sixty-two
    He had underlined in red
    every single "I love you"

I went to see him just today,
    oh but I didn't see no tears
    All dressed up to go away, first time
    I'd seen him smile in years

He stopped loving her today
    They placed a wreath upon his door
    And soon they'll carry him away

(Spoken)
    You know,
    she came to see him one last time.
    Aww, 'n' we all wondered if she would.
    And it kept runnin' through my mind
    "this time he's over her for good."

They placed a wreath upon his door
    And soon they'll carry him away

As George wrapped up the recording session he said that he didn't know who would buy that morbid son-of-a-b****.
    It turned out to be one of the biggest country music singles of all time.
    You never know what people are gonna like.. :smile:
    Jarrell