So, thinking of going into business (kinda) need some help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wgilles, Sep 15, 2008.

1. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Well, I want to start doing some client shooting on the side while I'm not at school and/or studying. I've decided my strongest field and the one that gives me the most interest is cars! I stuck an ad on craigslist just to see if anyone picks it up, otherwise I will be handing out flyers and business cards.

My real question is though, do I need a contract? If so, where can I get an example and/or help writing one? My sister knows a bunch of lawyers, but I think that's kinda overkill.

Thanks in advance.

2. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

google is your friend.

3. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

When you say cars, do you mean static shots? If it's the owners pride and joy, you'd better be well insured for 3rd party liability for when you scratch one of them !!!

4. rmi1

rmi1

Jan 14, 2008
    Western Hemisphere
    I would look at having contracts - written by your 'legal team' and not your clients. It will help set expectations on both sides. Adrian's point about insurance is very valid and you may want to think about tax + expenses at the same time.

5. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Yeah I have another thread about contracts. It will be static shots. How would I scratch the car otherwise, I don't plan on sticking the camera in the paint for a close up of the metallic chips...

6. You need to limit your liability when you are photographing the car. No matter what happens. When you move the car to get a better shot, when your tripod falls on it, when the owner claims you scratched his $4000 paint job with your lens hood or the buttons on your jacket, etc.

Contracts defining work and liability are crucial otherwise you are just hanging out there, waiting for something bad to happen.

7. Go to http://www.nolo.com. They have myriads of books on small business, contracts, etc.

Also, go to http://www.njsbdc.com/ This the New Jersey Small Business Development Center. Make an appointment and go see them. They will give you FREE professional advice on starting your business; they are a program of the SBA and services to you are at no cost. They can advise you on licensing, insurance, bookkeeping, and especially marketing.

As a small business adviser myself (and a former owner of several businesses) I know that at least as much time as you spend on photography, and learning about it, needs to be spent on the business aspects.

Good luck!

8. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Awesome, thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.