So Thom's Back...What Would Tom Do 2018

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Markb, Jan 11, 2018.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    Good old whining Thom...still at it...whining...:yawn: 

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. For once I am completely in agreement with him, whines or not, I think he is on target this time. And I enjoy self-depreciating humor :) 

3. Best quote from the article (IMO, of course): "In the meantime, they wonder why camera sales are down (or Yay! They’re Now Only Flattish!) and that most images are made with a smartphone these days. Simple answer: casual photographers had problems. Smartphones solved them. Cameras don’t."

• Like Like x 3
  4. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Pretty sure he's got a Snark-O-Tron 8300 working overtime these days.

5. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    So Nikon could of headed off the smart phone issue by adding a phone, address book, e-mail and spreadsheet software to a camera. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: 

6. No, but camera makers could have retained a larger fraction of their market by offering better connectivity and convenience. The smartphone was destined to devalue the "casual camera market" e.g. point-and-shoot cams. Smartphones as cameras and ILC cameras have never been in direct competition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    For that portion of the population that is not willing to carry any more than one device, the stand alone camera was dead. Bad news for camera companies, is that this group is a large percentage of the under 35 population.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. He has been saying it for a long time, so long that some thinks he is just whining. Whether that is the case or not he is right.

The current trends with Smartphones that use AI for special effects like Bokeh and such means that slowly people who don't care as much as we aficionados do will be (already are) very impressed and happy and will see no reason to buy a high end camera. The Phone is the camera and can do anything they want plus a lot more. Wither Canon and Nikon?

9. It's not the length of time that he has been saying this stuff that makes people think he is whining. It's the tone of his articles that make people think that...and rightly so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. My phone is my phone, and my camera is my camera, and never the twain shall meet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. My phone is my phone, and my camera is my camera, and never the twain shall meet.

True enough for most people here.
    But not the bulk of the world, for them it's "My phone is my phone, my camera, my everything"

12. I do have to admit...with the advances in cell-phone camera tech these last several years, I have gradually migrated toward taking more pics with my cell than I ever thought I would. When I need pictures, I take my cameras... but with as good as my cell cam is, it is my carry-it-everywhere-always-on-me camera... I have even taken some decent pics on it. I just got tired of having to pack, haul, and put away my good gear all the time... and I typically don't mind taking heavy stuff with me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup

Nov 30, 2013
    Texas
    In the words of the great Sufjan Stevens, "all things grow, all things grow".

14. I have a friend who has been selling 16 by 20 landscape prints for quite a while. The last Nikon he owned was a D750. Now, most of his images and sales are taken with his Samsung Galaxy 8+.

15. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup

Nov 30, 2013
    Texas
    If I did not like fooling around with cameras so much, I would have migrated to phone photography long ago. I am a street shooter and I have seen outstanding street photography using phones/cameras.

16. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Now you tell me I coulda used my iPhone, I just bought a D850 and a D5

• Like Like x 1
  17. MNglass

MNglass

Dec 7, 2005
    The last time I expressed interest in a new phone (Ip8, or X) my exasperated other asked me why I wanted a new phone. My answer was that I didn't want a new phone, I wanted a new camera with a phone attached to it. I doubt that a more 'network/socially' integrated camera would have made much difference in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Good to see him admit that mirrorless is an advance for the manufacturer, not the user...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ah, so that's why you are selling your D4 :D  iPhone X

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.