So today i got my d50

Wow i guess i am a super noob.

For some reason these were dark and grainy.

testing: all of these are on f5.6
also they were on softer and fine.
1. 25 shutter speed iso: 400
2. 25 shutter speed iso: 800
3. 25 shutter speed iso: 1600

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. 25 shutter speed iso: 800
2. 25 shutter speed iso: 400
3. 25 shutter speed iso: 200

i think i need major help.

Find yourself a copy of the book "Understanding exposure." It's fantastic: clearly written, lots of photos to illustrate the points made and works through things in a logical progression.

Your photos are underexposed. Changing the ISO changes the sensor's sensitivity to light. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive to light, but also the more grain you will see. In digital, the grain is called noise.

An exposure is based on 3 things:

ISO - the sensitivity of the sensor chip to light
aperture - the opening in the lens, relates to the f number
shutter speed - how long the sensor is exposed to light

If you drill a small hole through a piece of wood (aperture) and turn on a hose, it will take a long time to fill up a bucket. If you make the hole bigger, the bucket will fill faster.

If you make the aperture opening big (low f numbers, ie. f/1.4, f/2), a lot of light gets in.
If you make the aperture opening small (big f numbers, i.e. f/11, f/22), not much light gets in.

If you keep the shutter open a long time (i.e. 1/10th sec, 2 sec), a lot of light gets in.
If you open/close the shutter very quickly (i.e. 1/2000th sec), not much light comes in.

Exposure relates to how much light you let in. You can choose to control this via the shutter speed (S mode), the aperture (A mode), or by setting both (M mode). Or you can let the camera choose both (P mode).

So to get more light, you need to either open the aperture up more (low numbers) or leave the shutter open longer.

Looks like you have it in the "manual" exposure mode. Adjust the shutter speed and aperture until you get the proper exposure (check the meter in the viewfinder). Or try the "aperture" or "shutter" priority mode. And try reading the section in the manual about different exposure modes, and how to adjust them properly.

Find yourself a copy of the book "Understanding exposure." It's fantastic: clearly written, lots of photos to illustrate the points made and works through things in a logical progression.

Your photos are underexposed. Changing the ISO changes the sensor's sensitivity to light. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive to light, but also the more grain you will see. In digital, the grain is called noise.
Best book for beginners in my opinion. Great advice!

yeah but the lower the shutter speed is the more blur it gets but the apeture is at 5.6. I also want a smoother picture, the higher the iso the more noise. :/ i want to use a lower iso but it get's too underexposed.

If you can't get a larger aperture than f/5.6, and you need shutter speed, and you don't want to go to high ISO, you need to add light: via flash or other light source.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom