So what about these internet D200 deals?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by bill-e, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi folks,

First off, I didn't just fall off the pumpkin cart, I know these places are there to scam people and I'm just thinking out loud.

Here's my question. They are selling new D200's for $549 w/USA warranty.

I'm assuming we are talking about new imports with a third party warranty.

I also assume that they do not come with a battery as they sell batteries on the site for $179.

So, assuming that the camera comes with the needed parts like the body cap, rubber eye cup and eye piece cap, why wouldn't this be a good deal?

I can get Nikon battery and charger for about $70 on Amazon and the cables etc I can get as I need them if I don't already have them anyway so for about $600 I could have a new D200.

Nobody is selling used D200's for anywhere near that price.

So what's the downside aside from having to deal with these schmucks over the phone? The import HW should be the same build quality shouldnt it and after the warranty period I could still pay Nikon to fix it couldn't I?

Comments?

2. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    For warranty information, read this thread: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=183433

If I were you, I would buy it assuming that Nikon will not touch the camera. But if I were you, I wouldn't buy it. You don't mention which company you are going to deal with. There are many in which I would have no confidence.

You can buy slightly used Nikon USA D200's with a one-year warranty. For example, Cameta Camera has been selling "factory refurbs" (which they represent have never been owned by a consumer) via auction on eBay for $800 +/- with a one-year warranty. Cameta also sells refurbs through Amazon for $800 (you can call them and find out if these are the same factory refurbs they auction on eBay). I have also seen legimate B&M dealers sell USA D200's on ebay with a 30-day return policy.

For my peace of mind, I would spend extra and buy one of these or get a used one with low activations that I feel confident about - in terms of the seller, the fact that it is a USA model and that it is in excellent condition.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Good Luck

Bill,

My experience with these outfits is if you don't "bite" for the high priced "accessories", like a battery, charger, etc. they will simply cancel your order and you'll end up having saved nothing and wasted lots of time.

Perhaps you'll be lucky, but that is the M.O. I have seen everytime I see one of these "deals".

Good luck,

Joe

4. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm nowhere near even considering buying one, just googled d200 today and saw the low priced sites and was curious.

5. The Nikon batteries are $40-50, that's a complete joke!

6. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    well I see used D200's for mid to high 700's all day. its not that much more. I would rather buy one of those. or just wait a bit for the D90 to come out. it should be pretty sweet.

7. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I saw a D200 with ±5K actuations sell for $450, and his other with 7 actuations went for $850, tight before B&H started selling them NIB for $950.

8. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Alan, next time you see one going for $450 shoot me an email, that I can handle :) 

9. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I missed what looks like a great deal over on Nikonians. D200, 15k clicks w/katz Eye, RRS RT Angle and 2 batteries for $675. You gotta be quick I guess.:Curved:

10. rmfnla

rmfnla

Aug 19, 2008
    La-La Land
    I was tempted by a few of those ads as well when I was buying my first DSLR.

I Googled one company's name (can't rememer it now) and was astounded by the amount of bad reviews out there. Really made me glad I checked before I got taken.

Remember: If it sounds too good to be true...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.