So what do you want from Nikon ?

In any event, I'd like to think we already have a "pro" DX body with the D300. About the only thing it doesn't have that the D3/D700 does is one or two stops of high ISO performance. But, if one can "live" with ISO/1600, it'll do just about everything the D700 does.
For those of us who would like a pro DX body (notice no quotes) the D300 doesn't cut it. The build is not the same. The buttons are not the same as the D2X or D3. There is not built in grip - I like the feel of my D2X. The af on the D300 is slower than the D700 and D3 due to a slower processor.

The only feature I like on the D300 not present on the pro bodies is the sensor shake cleaner. Some like the built in flash.

Hi Desmond...
Before I share a thought on your comment, I'm wondering whether you still have a barrow in the market place, and whether Molly's still a singer in a band? :eek:
"Molly '' left me when I immigrated :smile:
I am also fairly content with the 'older' camera bodies but also welcome anything exciting Nikon has to offer especially if it gives better iso performance which is my main wish .
It seems though that there are a few people who would like to see a "Dx3" rather than a D3x !

I'd like a Nikon version of the Olympus EP-1 system. :)
cant see how that will work. the beauty of the ep1 is not so much the tiny body, but the fact that you bolt tiny, (comparative), lens' onto it os of the 4/3/ micro 4/3 system.

nikon would need to launch a whole new series of glass to make that sort of system work and i cant see them doing it anytime soon.

More teleconverters, offering uncompromised quality of course.

As focal lengths over 200mm now figure significantly in symptoms of my NAS disease, I'm eyeing lenses that cost from CDN$7K to CDN$12K each, weigh from seven to twelve pounds each, and are each as much as 17 inches long. I already carry too much stuff, and I'm not rich.

I'm no optical engineer... maybe what I want is impossible. I'm also already disappointed with my 1.7X teleconverter (I've read that the 1.4X is the only really good one of the existing three).

But 3X and 4X teleconverters offering stunning images, each costing less than $5K, weighing less than five pounds, and being less than 5-6 inches in length, would be very sweet additions here!

When NAS extends into lusting for things that don't exist and probably never will, it's pretty much terminal, right?

When NAS extends into lusting for things that don't exist and probably never will, it's pretty much terminal, right?
Waiting for something like that to come out saves a lot of money compared to buying existing gear :smile: But I reckon it's not quite possible to get high quality out of huge magnifications on converters - but we're allowed to dream right ?:smile:

A premium quality 22" wall mounted electronic photo frame, such as the one I currently use: "PhotoVu". PhotoVu needs some competition.

cant see how that will work. the beauty of the ep1 is not so much the tiny body, but the fact that you bolt tiny, (comparative), lens' onto it os of the 4/3/ micro 4/3 system.

nikon would need to launch a whole new series of glass to make that sort of system work and i cant see them doing it anytime soon.
I wouldn't mind investing in a new system if Nikon decides to produce something like this. They could probably go two ways with it:

A) a step-up system from Coolpix users who want to get a bit more serious but don't wish to shell out too much for a DSLR ststem. Nikon could market the new compact interchangeable-lens system as a higher end alternative camera with the perks of customization thanks to lenses and accessories. It could also serve within this category while also being viewed as a back up (or compact back up) for DSLR users; for those times when "the image matters" but discretion is needed .

or

B) an all-out competitor for the position of king of low light/stealth street shooting; a newcomer that will de-throne Leica. Wedding photographers, street shooters, and anyone who wants a small, lightweight, quality system would be the target market. I can see the ads with pictures of wedding (or street) photographers with one of these cameras held up to his eyes while one or two others hang on leather straps with a different focal length prime lens attached to them. This campaign would be a much more risky one as it would probably eat into DX sales, but it would work if Nikon produced irresistable primes (such as a 24mm 1.4, 45mm 1.2, and 105mm 1.4). Of course, Nikon could offer the system not only to working pros, but collectors as well with a "Titanium Edition". :smile:

Yes, I think Nikon can pull it off if they really wanted to.

How low is low?
30k?

And by get rid of you mean sell or give? ;)
Hi Willy Pete (or could that be, Wily Pete?)... :biggrin:

Gee...this almost sounds like a Limbo contest as in "How low can you go?"

I'm thinking 30k could be low if the body still looks exactly as it did on the day it left the factory. That's probably unlikely, though, as in the course of tripping the shutter some 30k times, it's probably picked up a number of bumps and bruises along the way. But, maybe not...

London's pretty far away although my daughter will be there this Wednesday for a week to look at Graduate Schools and I think LSE, if I have it right, is high on her list.

Also, and while "give" would be wonderful, I'd be prepared to buy...for perfection, but that's a pretty tough order, and so I have a hunch I'll be searching for quite some time. I've found that those who are lucky enough to have a D2Hs are usually very reluctant to give them up. I'm sure I'll locate another at some point...I just have to keep on keepin' on...as they say...

M

Messiah Khan

Id like to see;

A Pro DX body. Basically a D3 with a D300 (or better) sensor. I want a built in grip, viewfinder curtain, round eyecup, faster AF, etc etc.

Pro f4 lenses. Although I'm quite happy with my 70-200mm f2.8, I'm sure quite a lot of people would appreciate the lighter weight of a 70-200mm f4 like Canon have.

Nikkor 400mm f5.6 VR

50mm f1. Leica can do it. I'm jealous.

A superwideangle FX zoom that goes from about 14mm to 24mm that can use filters and is half practical. I don't mind sacrificing maximum aperture. Even f5.6 or slower would do me as it would be for landscapes. Needs to be razor sharp corner to corner.

A better system for adding remote shutters. God does that screw fitting on the D300 annoy me. At least give it a bigger thread.

Opensource firmware! I doubt this will ever happen. But imagine firmware that is opensource, so the community can add their own inovations. Something like the Canon Hack Development Kit; http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK I want things like a .txt reader in camera, so I could load things like tide times or help files on the camera.

Crosshair AF points. The little (or relatively big) rectangle AF points we have now annoy me. I want single pixel wide crosshairs. Infact, I want to be able to choose what shape I want myself from the menu.

Unmarked buttons on Pro cameras. Who does my AF-On button have to be at the top. Or why does the play or delete button have to be where they are? I want them to be marked F1, F2, F3 or somethign similar, so I can then customise ALL the buttons with ANY of the features. Not just customise a few buttons with some of the features. Infact we could go one step further and have OLED buttons so the function is displayed on the button.

Dual memory cards is a good idea. SD and CF is not. I want dual CF!

I think that will do for now. Im sure I'll think of more. :smile:

I can add something else....

Make the AF fine tune automatic.

My eye site isn't good enough to do this myself, nor am I precise enough to do it, so it'd be nice if the camera could figure it out for me and assign the correct settings to the lens and somehow store it to that specific lens permanently.

:smile:

Well, not exactly photography related, but you did say "from Nikon".
I would absolutely like to purchase a dv camcorder that accepts all my Nikon glass. I would like it to store to a media card, have fire wire transfer, external mic plug and HD image quality.
And... (drum roll please) I would like it to be under $800!
I love photography, and I really enjoy capturing video as well.
By the way, no thanks to a DSLR/movie type camera as this combination seems limited.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom