So what is it called when....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Kevin Scott, Jun 17, 2005.

1. ....you go to the camera shop to get Nikon Capture, look at some new camera bags, gizmos, gadgets, etc but end up walking out with a new Nikon 60mm f2.8 D micro lens? I think the mistake was touching it. When all you can do is view the various lenses over the Internet, there's no harm. But when you start handling them in comparison, that's when the trouble starts.

I still can't figure out how the salesman got the credit card out of my wallet without me noticing. :roll:

Oh well, guess I'll just have to find something to shoot now....

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Step away from the lenses . . .

Yep. It will get you every time. I was in there myself today (Colonial Photo?) buying a stack of printer paper. I managed to resist asking to try the 17-55 f/2.8 :shock:

Even so, I managed to order an Epson P-2000 from Ritz and three filters from Singh-Ray, so the internet certainly isn't harmless in this regard . . .

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    LOL Kevin. Only problem is, you can't get any really good birdie pics with that lens, unless they land REAL close.... 8)

4. That's called a good decision 8).

5. Yes, John, that's where I was. My wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day so I made a list of possibilities. So you see, I HAD to go to the store to satisfy my wife's requirement (I'm trying to be a good husband and listen to my wife). I asked the salesman for many different things and looked at them. Then I stepped outside so I could decided what I wanted (which combo of 2 or 3 things). I ended up with the lens and a book.

I've got to go to Ritz to buy something too. I've got over $100 in coupons that I got from buying the D2X that I need to use. Was going to use them on the macro lens but maybe now I'll use them for a Printer....

In full disclosure, I also asked to see "the Beast" 28-70 and got a price on both it and the "new Gale lens" 70-200. So now I can see that they're in my future. :twisted:

6. That's ok though really. I didn't buy it for birding. I have this little area in my bag that needed filling and this lens fit right in there. :wink:

I'm beginning to believe that we truly are victims of LLD and it's not our fault. Because, there I was, minding my own business and this salesman starts in with "You know what you really need?...." He starts in on all the virtues of the 200 f2 VR and what flexibility you have with the various extenders. Even though it's thousands of $, his logic made sense. :cry:

7. I'm hoping! Thanks for the validation, too, I needed that! :wink:

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well Kevin you could shoot an elephant up close..hahahahahahhahaaaaa

Ok now the FLOWERS..

You going to have to buy your wife a bunch of those and take great photos of them for HER !!!!!!

lolololol

We are shamless.....

9. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    I know the feeling ...

Last Thursday afternoon I found myself at B&H looking at camera bags. I was also interested in a set of Kenko extension tubes to feed my close up and macro habit. While at the SLR counter I asked the salesman for a look at the 70-200 VR. He asked me "Are you going to buy it?" For some reason I blurted out "Yes, probably, but I want to look at it first." He then asked "Why don't you just buy it, and you can look at your own lens?" I must say that I could see the logic in his suggestion ...

Sensing an imminent catch, he quickly picked the lens from the shelf, deftly mounted it on a D70 body and dangled the bait in front of me. Well you know the rest! It was easy since I had already taken my credit card out of my pocket to pay for the extension tubes.

In my defense, I have to say that I will need it to properly document my son's final college track season, and cross country starts in September, and I have to practice to get ready, don't I?

I am seriously behind many of the other folks participating in these discussions when it comes to fancy new glass. At this rate, I think I may soon be catching up ...

Gerry

10. So how did you explain this "impulse purchase" to your wife, Gerry?

11. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    Impulse purchase? Maybe, but I have been thinking about this lens for so long, while salivating over results that other users have presented, that it seemed more a matter of when, not if.

As far as explanations go, we have been married long enough that my wife anticipates my foibles. She was less surprised than amused when I came home with the lens. To soften the blow when the credit card bill actually arrives, I will simply explain that I bought it to take pictures of her (22 yr old) "baby."

However, I am sure there is further payment to be extracted in the future ...

Gerry

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I contacted Penn Camera some weeks ago to order a new battery and battery hatch for my D2H...when the telephone conversation ended, the total bill was a pinch over $1550.00 That's when "the beast" jumped into the shopping cart.

This lens lust is an affliction...

13. Frank, speaking of The Beast, are you getting good use from it? I just cruised your gallery, and didn't see many midrange pics...

14. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Basically it's called:

"Shopping 101 for Men"

;)

C

15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Same thing happened to me with the D2x. Glad my dog house is nice. :)

16. Jay Keller

Jay Keller Guest

My favorite line is Nikon's, I chuckle whenever it crosses my mind:

"... because the professional knows that a single image can be worth more than all his equipment put together."

I hope the genius who wrote that got a nice bonus. He probably writes copy for the lottery also.

17. Kevin,

That's one of the best bargains in the Nikon line. One of the few lenses I never consider selling for something else. Absolutely killer for portraits. You did good.

Woody
    http://www.onemodelplace.com/photographer_list.cfm?P_ID=42340

18. Woody, I think you may be right! I've only had it since Friday and have been trying it out every night. I've been taking portraits, flowers, scenics, close ups of rust (!), and even took it to City Walk @ Universal for my daughter's friend's 16th b-day dinner. Every pic so far has been extremely sharp--the one factor I value in a lens more than any other.

19. Kevin,

I haven't owned them all, but it's so sharp it makes everything else in my bag look bad. I did some tests a few months ago and it was definitely sharper than my 80-200 f2.8 ED, 17-35, 24-85, 85 1.8, 35 f.2, and 35-70 f2.8. Oddly enough the 17-35 was amazingly close, and right behind that was the 35-70, which is my weapon of choice once the portraits are over and the 60 comes off the camera.

Woody