So...what's on YOUR Lust List?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by David Fink, Jun 11, 2005.

1. As we all know, LLD is a chronic and incurable condition. Specific symptoms tend to vary from individual to individual, and the severity of the disorder waxes and wanes on a daily basis.

I thought it might be fun to share our most acute present symptoms.....in other words, which specific lenses are you most lusting after currently?

Here's my current medical chart:

-- AFD 135mm f/2 DC. I have the 105 DC which is wonderful. I find that I'm using my AIS 135mm f/2.8 on the D2x a lot, as 135mm is a focal length I enjoy with the 1.5x sensor. Ergo, the 135 DC seems highly desirable.

-- AFD 180mm f/2.8. I've wanted that lens for several years. Fairly light weight, compact telephoto. Reputation as being one of Nikon's best.

-- AFD 200mm Micro. Well, I just want it.

-- Sigma 30mm f/1.4. If this new lens gets great reviews, it will become for me an alternative to the Nikkor 28mm f/1.4, the cost of which I've never been able to quite justify.

-- Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6. Another new Sigma offering that, if reviews warrant, promises to serve the wide end perfectly.

Okay.....so those are my symptoms (which could change at any moment!).

What's on YOUR list?

Best wishes,

David

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey David...

This is going to become a great thread because everyone has their dreams....

Well, here's my "Lust List"

1. I truly need another digital body to complement my D2H, so a D2Hs or another D2H would be in order;

2. I would like to sell or trade my 300mm f/2.8 and get into a 300mm f/2.0. I think that it would be a wonderful upgrade. 8)

3. Some TCs...a 1.4 and a 1.7 :p

4. And lastly, a lens for shooting close-ups but I have no exact idea which lens is best for me. I'm still reading what Cafe-ers are using for their enjoyment. :?: :roll: :?:

5. Oh...almost forgot, I probably would need some sort of facial muscle relaxer. I figure all of the excessive smiling would probably hurt after a while! :lol:

3. 1. A D2X first before any lens.

2. TC-17 for my 600 and 200-400 VR

3. 70-180mm D Zoom Micro ED AF

4. Maybe the Beast, but with a 17-35 and a 24-120 VR already in my bag I am not sure.

5. 70-200mm VR; I do own an 80-200 so the 70-200 is not high on the list.

Russ

4. Hi Frank and Russ,

I should have mentioned that additional bodies should be fair game for the list, as well. Interesting that both of you have need of those.

Russ, I know what you mean about the 70-200 VR. Everyone loves that lens. I'd like to have one, too....but my Sigma 70-200 HSM serves that need adequately at present.

Frank, as for facial muscle relaxants.....there are several possibilities, but it's usually wise to stay away from benzodiazepines. Progressive muscle relaxation is a non-pharmacological approach that works well. :lol: :p

Best wishes,

David

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I wish I could afford to upgrade from the 2 D70's to at least 1 D2x, but I don't see that happening anytime this century... :(

As for lens' I really haven't look to see just what might be out there, but I would like something longer than my 70-200 Sigma HSM EX with a F2.8 aperture.

I would also like to add at least 1 more SB800 to my bag

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Someone to carry all the wonderful things I would like to have :>))

D2X (maybe) possibly D2H.. Well both since we are wihsing.
    Extremely longgggggg best Nikkor glass.....

All Best Nikkor glass.

CF tripod with the right accessories.

7. The beast.

Not that I need it, I just want it.

8. TC-17 for my 70-200VR

SB-800

9. First of all, I'm cured of LLD. My current kit is perfect for my needs. I don't need anything else, I don't need anything else, I don't need anything else.

But there's still a few little items that I think about [sigh].

d200
    300/4 AFS plus a couple of TCs
    85/1.4
    three df200 slave flashes
    three light stands
    a couple of umbrellas
    a bigger backpack

10. Good attitude, Phil :lol:.

11. There are alot of lebnses alreayd in thee bag but i juts want to add a few more...

1. 600mm F4 AF-s
    2. 300mm AF-S VR
    3. a 12mm 2.8 prime lens
    4. Sigma 300-800mm 5.6
    5. F135mm DC
    and on and on

This will never stop it seems...

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I find myself in the position where the stuff I have is pretty darn good (in fact better than my skill level warrants, if I'm honest), and as a result the stuff I lust after is getting more and more expensive:

- D2X
    - 200-400 VR
    - "the beast" :)
    - 85 1.4
    - Sigma 30 1.4

13. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I have small lusts only...

For many reasons that I can't quite clearly expaciate, I'm currently lusting after the Macro-Nikkor and Zeiss Luminar series of true macro lenses. It may have started with getting the Nikkor-O f/1.2 "CRT lens" a bit back from Paul Frye then shooting in a world literally under my nose all of the time, or that I've just made a trade of another Nikkor-O for a Luminar, but I've suddenly found these an interesting set of lenses. Having a friend using my 105mm Micro-Nikkor on a long-term loan for some work may have warped my thinking, I suppose.

Of course, none of this is helped by this forum's insatiable and relentless lens lust or such wonderful discussions as those of Bjørn Rørslett on his site about various lenses (IMO, probably the most balanced lens evaluation site on the internet. Thanks, Bjørn !!!).

Interestingly, I have no desire for the Beast or for any longer glass than my 200-400mm AFS/VR lens. As much as I'd like to be able to land small birds at longer distances, most of my photography is done while travelling, and I get a very limited opportunity to stop, set up a tripod, set the lens, etc., and so I shoot handheld about 80 - 90% of the time. And the Beast hasn't made me feel any lust. Yet.

Now, the D2X, that's a temptation, but I'm waiting a bit on that one ! Unless I happen to visit South Africa for a buying trip with Peter, that is...

John P.

14. GeneR

GeneR Guest

An 85 f/1.4 is at the top of my list.

Then possibly a switch from the 80-200 to 70-200 VR.

A D200 if one ever comes out.

Some type of portable storage device.

Gene

15. Re: I have small lusts only...

I'll second your compliment to Bjørn. There's amazing breadth and depth to his lens reviews. Just don't take any tips about lens maintainence from him. He tosses his collection in the trunk of his car -lol!

But, but, but... have you read Bjørn's review?

16. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Re: I have small lusts only...

Frank :

Yah, Bjørn's reviews have been the tipping factor on my getting several lenses such as the 200-400mm AFS/VR. Other "tipping factors" have been Ron Reznick showing me what a couple of great lenses could do, and, Jim Fenton's cackling about how well a lens worked when we shot at a chilly pre-dawn in the Bosque together. Somehow, surprisingly, there's a slight difference in style between Bjørn and Jim! :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

The last sentence of the review captures this for me. I have some outstanding lenses that are in or close to the range of the Beast, namely the 28mm f/1.4 (credit Sensei Ron for that push!) and the 85mm f/1.4 (Jim's dawn comments for this one), and I'm still learning to get the best from those lenses.

Who knows what the future will bring in the way of LLD ?

John P.

P.S. All jokes about Jim aside (he's actually a great guy), thanks to all the people who've given me the good info to buy such great glass.

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    [img=right:e2264f9b2b]http://www.nikonusa.com/images/products/1458_180.jpg[/img:e2264f9b2b]First, an 85mm f/2.8 PC Micro-Nikkor:

I've wanted this lens for a long time, but I have some concerns. It's a manual focus lens, but is it 'chipped' in the way the 45P is? That would be great, but for the kind of work I would use it for, I can hand meter.

I love all the scales and knobs!

[img=right:e2264f9b2b]http://www.nikonusa.com/images/products/2150_180.jpg[/img:e2264f9b2b]Then the huge 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S Nikkor:

As it would essentally replace my 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF, my only concern would be that it is too big and heavy.

[img=right:e2264f9b2b]http://www.nikonusa.com/images/products/1925_180.jpg[/img:e2264f9b2b]Here's another lens I wonder about, the 14mm f/2.8 ED AF Nikkor:

The bulbous front element is wild, eh? I'm not sure about how this would work with a digital sensor - is there light fall off, and hows the distortion?

I'd rather have a DX version, or maybe a 12 or 13 DX. Then I'd also need a 20mm f/2.8 and I could loose the 12-24 zoom. Of course I like the zoom, so it'd be a duplicate. I'm thinking a 20 would be nice anyway....

Of course I'd also like the trio of the midrange kings: 28mm f/1.4, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f/1.4.

18. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    in no particular order:

1. 200-400mm VR
    2. 200mm VR
    3. 300mm VR
    4. 400mm f/2.8 AF-S
    5. 500mm f/4 AF-S
    6. 600mm f/4 AF-s
    7. 200mm macro

and none of these is affordable for me :(

now that i have the 300mm f/2.8 AIS, i want the AF version (my MF skills are not skills). maybe a 400mm f/3.5 but then again i'd still have to MF...

ricky

19. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Chris...pictures and everything? Don't torture yourself!!!

20. Chris, I'm afraid I agree with Frank's implication.....your affliction seems dire. I fear the prognosis may not be good.

Best wishes,

David