So, you took a picture now what?

Real Name
Luis Casals
One of the biggest obstacles I have is that I have a bunch of pictures but do not know how to properly process them for both print sizes and also color management (when printed they do not look as they do on my monitor).:confused:

What if I want to be able to print it in different sizes and not get portions cropped from each printed size?

Could someone offer some pointers as to how to get past this?

My advice is start reading about color management, on this site and other places. Is your monitor calibrated? What is your working color space? What ICC profile is stored (tagged) in your image files? Do you print yourself on an inkjet or do you send files out to an online lab? What color profile did you select in your camera if shooting JPEGs or in you raw converter if shooting raw? Etc, etc... If in doubt, leave everything to sRGB and at least attempt a visual monitor calibration using Adobe Gamma tool or some online monitor calibration page.

As for printing and cropping, figure out what the aspect ratio of your image is (i.e. length to width) and find a similar piece of paper to print on. Otherwise, you are effectively trying to "fit a square peg into a round hole"... The popular print sizes, eg 5x7 and 8x10 do not have the same aspect ratio as the (uncropped) image files, which is 3:2. So, your two solutions are either crop the image, or crop (trim) the paper! :wink:

Real Name
Luis Casals
My advice is start reading about color management, on this site and other places. Is your monitor calibrated? What is your working color space? What ICC profile is stored (tagged) in your image files? Do you print yourself on an inkjet or do you send files out to an online lab? What color profile did you select in your camera if shooting JPEGs or in you raw converter if shooting raw? Etc, etc... If in doubt, leave everything to sRGB and at least attempt a visual monitor calibration using Adobe Gamma tool or some online monitor calibration page.

As for printing and cropping, figure out what the aspect ratio of your image is (i.e. length to width) and find a similar piece of paper to print on. Otherwise, you are effectively trying to "fit a square peg into a round hole"... The popular print sizes, eg 5x7 and 8x10 do not have the same aspect ratio as the (uncropped) image files, which is 3:2. So, your two solutions are either crop the image, or crop (trim) the paper! :wink:

Thanks. My monitor is not calibrated I have been reading about it a bit. I am looking at getting the i1Display 2 and see if that would help with the color correction. I was also looking at a Huey, but do not know much about it.

A good starting point is Color Management for Digital Photographers for Dummies. My first purchase after I bought my first DSLR was this book.

Thank you. I am actually looking for good books. I will keep that one in mind.

Save your RAW files, and only export the jpeg file to a final crop. In NX2 you can have multiple "versions" saved into the same file. This is quite useful for pulling up the right crop.

Managing all of my photos in a useable library is my one major issue right now. I think I need to check out photomechanic, but I just can't justify the cost yet when there are $$$$ of other things I need.

Real Name
Luis Casals
Managing all of my photos in a useable library is my one major issue right now. I think I need to check out photomechanic, but I just can't justify the cost yet when there are $$$$ of other things I need.

I know what you mean. I have files alll over the place too. I currently use PSE6 also have CS2.

Seems like I am going to need to get a monitor calibrator, do not have a tripod yet, would like to get a longer lense and a WA..... just to name a few things.

Real Name
Luis Casals
Yup, and a flash, and Color Efex 3.0, and a 2.8 zoom, and a wide prime... and...and...and... heh.

Yeah, I forgot the SB-600 that I want to get too. By the way, how is the weather in Minnesota lately. My wife is from St. Paul, she took me to Minehaha falls last Chistmas the place was of course frozen, but I can imagine how beautiful it has to be in the summer.

One of the biggest obstacles I have is that I have a bunch of pictures but do not know how to properly process them for both print sizes and also color management (when printed they do not look as they do on my monitor).:confused:

What if I want to be able to print it in different sizes and not get portions cropped from each printed size?

Could someone offer some pointers as to how to get past this?

My very best advice is this:

never click on "Save" until you have already clicked on "Save As" with a different file name.

Eric

Real Name
Luis Casals
In Capture NX2, "save" makes a new version, leaving the original untouched--with NEFs ONLY!

Got it. I think that I am going to start calibrating my monitor, just need to figure out which product would be the best for me without leaving me poor. :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom