Soapbox Rant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baywing, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    For those who don't know, yesterday the House (USA) passed a bill allowing for oil drilling in Alaska's National Wildlife Sanctuary. It was attached to other legislation which included more relief money for hurricane Katrina victims. It is more than probable these other bits of legislation were the reason it passed. I think it safe to assume that the majority of photographers are environmentally aware, some have been very active in the struggle to clean up the planet. Galen Rowell and Jack Dykinga are two who come to mind right away.
    I think it is time that the US government starts considering bills and legislation on it's single merits, not attachments. We need to contact our representatives and push for a law or Constitutional Amendment that will prohibit lawmakers from attaching unrelated items to bills. It's time each item was given due consideration on it's own, and it's got to start somewhere, sometime, why not here and now?
    Apologies to our members outside the USA, but this does affect us all, it's one, big earth and if we cr*p up our section, it's going to affect you too!
    While the Senate presents the final decision on this matter (we know GWB will sign it) it would appear to be political suicide not to vote for an aid package for our own people. These are not happy times, I am constantly reminded of an American Indian (I have a friend who prefers this over Native American) philosophy that goes something like this: The Earth belongs to our grandchildren, it is our responsibility to care for it until we can give it to them.
    End of rant, thanks for listening.

2. I really hope that political rants don't start in the Cafe. There's plenty of venues where this stuff is welcome and I hope the moderator deletes this post.

Woody

3. Fully agreed Woody. Don't take this wrong Baywing, you are a great member. There are a number of heartwrenching/ecological/political issues one can take to heart. This just is not the place.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Baywing,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. However, it is up to us individually to contact our Senators or Congresspeople in support or dissapointment in this matter.

Like Frits and Woody say, its nothing personal and we are all family here, we just don't talk about political stuff at the kitchen table.

Locking this post.

With Regards,