SoCal, Bolsa Chica Reserve

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jun 22, 2005.

1. The nice weather continues to be our friend, although this day started out quite overcast, normal Southern California Marine Layer. On this day, Thursday the 16th, it didn't burn off until about 4PM. As we pulled into the South Lot, we saw a sign which said the lot was closed for repairs, but it looks like that won't happen for another week or so, which was quite lucky for us. I have to check my book when I get home for exact ID's, especially on the Terns. There is an island built here specifically as a breeding site for the California Least Tern which is endangered.

The first two shots were taken by Nancy.

Feeding Godwits:
    DSC2066.sized.

Snowy Egret:
    DSC2110.sized.

And some of mine.

Common Tern with an Itch:
    DSC9270.sized.

Black Skimmer, note that the lower bill is longer than the upper. This bird skims the water with the lower beak submerged to catch fish.
    DSC9432.sized.

Tern, one that I need to ID:
    DSC9445.sized.

Black Skimmer, skimming:
    DSC9466.sized.

Godwit in flight:
    DSC9487.sized.

Common Tern in flight:
    DSC9512.sized.

These terms are really tough to capture in flight. They are small and very quick. They were also quite close which made things even more difficult.

Let me know what you think.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice series Bill. I haven't had much luck with the Tern flight shots. I got a couple once, but about the same time Ron R posted a fantastic capture of one that was almost full frame, so I never posted my pitiful efforts. :oops:

3. Hey Bill, you've really done well with this series of image. Good job. I always find the skimmers to be amazing birds when doing their thing.

4. Hey Bill, you've really done well with this series of images. Good job. I always find the skimmers to be amazing birds when doing their thing.

5. WWO great series one of your best every image is right on.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Thanks, Frank. You know me, I'll post and let the comments land where they do :wink: , it sure isn't any worse than what the birds let fly :oops: .

This was a great trip, especially watching my wife get into it. This is one of the places, by the way, that Ron frequents, and I think this is where he shot that image you are speaking of.

8. Thanks, Gordon, much appreciated. I have some Skimmer shots from the boat in Florida, and I was actually quite surprised when I found them at this location in California. There are really cool birds. I have a number of shots of 2 and 3 Skimmers flying at the same time. Once I get back home from my current trip, off to England, I'll get some of those up on my web site as well.

Certainly found more places to get back to in the future, to many with not enough time.

9. Mike, thanks a bunch, of course you don't see the ones that weren't :lol: :lol:

What really made this special for me is what Nancy was doing, and how she was complaining that the Tamron lens wouldn't focus fast enough for flight shots of the Terns. She is not comfortable hand-holding the 70-200 AFS VR, so I may need to get a second tripod and head for her to help out. But what a hoot to hear her, and wait until I get some of the Wild Animal park and Zoo photo's up. Maybe sometime this week.

Thanks again.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Saw your Bolsa title and just had to look and reply :)
    Very nice series. Terns are tough
    Since I'm new here and Bolsa is a regular stop for me, felt at ease commenting on your post.

In fact I have a whole gallery devoted to Bolsa here:

http://bfjr.smugmug.com/gallery/566395/1/23483150

None shot with a Nikon, but I'm fixing that today :)

12. Welcome, glad you found us. Yes, Terns are tough, they are so darned fast and agile. I lived 26 years in the Redondo/Torrance area but was not into bird photography at the time so I never paid much attention to Bolsa, but I spent a lot of time there as a teen, on the other side of PCH :lol: . Left the area the end of 1991 for Seattle, but this will now be a regular stop when I am in the SoCal area myself.

Nice gallery, I look forward to some shots with a "real" camera, a Nikon!!!! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the cafe, it is a grand place, and thanks very much for the comments.

13. Nice shots, Bill! I'm still hoping to get some of both Terns and Black Skimmers. They're so cool! Good job on them! :)

14. Thanks, Kevin, I really think the Skimmers are "way cool" on the "cool bird" scale. Quite unusual looking and a gas to watch, especially when they catch a fish.

Good luck :!: