Soccer in tough light (again)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by bvonarx, Jun 2, 2007.

1. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I like the comp on the last one best. Its not as clear as the others though.

Maybe working with the levels & curves could help alittle?

2. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Light was managed well I think....nice work....#2 is my favorite

3. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

brooks ... you did VERY good with the light you had....did you finally end up switching to spot or cntr weighted ?....... last one is my FAV hands down....

here is what i would reccomend..... Hit the last one with levels a bit and crop just a bit tighter and toss a little bit of USM at it... after that you will have a GREAT shot...!!!!

i usually dont ever shoot at f2.8 for sports because it's REALLY easy to get shots that are just a bit off and that drives me absolutly NUTS .... try stopping down a bit to prehaps 3.2 or 4 (if you have good light) and you will get sharper shots while still getting the subject isolation you desire

Looking forward to seeing more, your doing GREAT !

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think they are pretty darn good

5. Nice set, #2 made me stop a bit longer on it.

6. kramk

kramk Guest

brooks, i think your work is really very promising ... especially considering you were shooting wide open. Like topher, I find it's hard to get all the sharpness I'd like at f2.8.

And to continue on with the processing suggestions from topher and biggs, here's quick and nasty levels and a tad of USM on your last shot. Please tell me if I've offended you by posting your shot ... I'll quickly pull it. But I just wanted to show you how close IMO you are to work that really stands out.

original.

best, mark

7. Thanx to all for the encoragement and to Mark for the touch up. I have to go for a run but I will post the original and my corrections later today so we can further this lesson.
    Many thanks,
    Brooks

8. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

you can go a step further here if you like also .... go to selective color... and add some black to the yellow channel and that will help your grass look a bit better.... also ... when you do levels use a layer mask and go over the blown out spot on his right arm and it won't be as bright.....

9. A little background may be in order for this one. I was shooting the girls game, with an f/2.8, 80-200mm on a stick, who were playing on the field next to the boys. This capture was one of those instances where you see the shot coming, quickly pivot and hope for the best. I was shooting manual for the sunlit field and did not have time to properly change settings.

_BVA7065a.

I am just beginning to use levels and curves, Noise Reduction and USM and I do not yet have much of an understanding as to how best use each separately and in combination (help here much appreciated)

I do not have Photoshop, so using Capture NX these are the changes I made to the original RAW capture to attempt some recovery:

Color mode-2
    Exposure comp +.88
    Color noise reduction:
    Intensity=10%
    Sharpness-4
    Method- Better quality
    Edge noise reduction- None
    USM:
    Intensity- 10%
    Radius-3%
    Thresehold-2
    Straighten and slight crop

Mark, if you remember the changes you made I would appreciate your sharing them so I can get a schooling. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Brooks

10. kramk

kramk Guest

Hi Brooks, you know, you really did 90% of the needed post IMO ... in other words, you did all the hard work. I just added a few brush strokes. I don't remember exactly what I did in levels, but I use NX too, and often I just hit Adjust, Light, Auto Levels, Advanced, and then slide the Correct Contrast and Correct Color Cast sliders to taste. Usually I'm fairly happy with the auto Correct Contrast setting at 50%, but I almost always find the Correct Color Cast to be too much and end up backing off to 20 - 35%. I think hitting Auto on the full blown 'Levels' window (the one with the histogram) gives the same results as the Auto path I suggested. The difference is that I've never figured out an easy way of backing off and duplicating it's adjustment (which I often find to harsh). 'Auto Levels' is quick and easywith the two sliders......

As far as USM, like many I tend to use however much x%, 5, 4%.

But I am far from a guru at PP ... there's a whole lot more talent than me on this forum. Having said that though, I have been getting happier and happier with my NX post work.

Here's a link to some of this spring's soccer work. I've noticed I started off with a warmer color disposition than I ended up with late in the season .... maybe my eyes are moving:biggrin: Anyway, maybe you won't want to take any advice from me after looking at my work!

best, mark

11. kramk

kramk Guest

12. Thanks for the tips. I usually wade through the edit list which may end up over complicating things for me. I'll try it your way and see what happens.
    Brooks
    BTW #7750 and 9759 are my favs