Soccer Pictures

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by DeweyB, Sep 25, 2008.

1. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  2. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    This link goes to a gallery with 65 photos-Please post the photo in ?
    get the URL click the box in tool bar with the mtn. and the sun and paste the link
    much easier than going through your whole gallery

3. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Glad to see you are getting started in shooting soccer. You have some good action moments, but here are some things for you to think about:
    • Get in a lot tighter - you want to see facial expressions and no distracting background (crop if you have to, but taking a closer shot is best)
    • Shoot many shots in the portrait orientation because that matches the shape of your subjects
    • Shoot with the sun behind you (or as best you can). It looks like a bunch of these shots are from across the end-line. If you were just on the other side of the goal from where you were standing, you would have had a much better angle for the sun.
    • Think about your background and try to get as simple a background as possible (no spectators, no cars, etc...)
    • Try to blur the background as much as possible (large aperture). It makes the subject seem sharper and stand-out from the background.
    • Shoot from down low looking up
    • Before sharing, filter out the photos to only show your best ones (pick the best one from a sequence, throw away the ones where the player isn't in focus, etc...)
    • Since you're often saddled with harsh lighting, learning how to do shadow, highlight or contrast adjustments to enhance your shots
    • Crop to enhance your framing. I crop almost every single shot I keep at least a little because I typically have a little extra frame to allow for arms or feet extended for balance, but if that space isn't needed I crop. I'm also tracking the middle focus sensor on the player which doesn't always give the ideal composition so I crop to improve the composition.
    • For important set plays (corner kicks, penalty kicks, etc...) move yourself to the right location (often involves hurrying to get there in time) for a good angle for light and composition. For example, you don't want to be shooting a penalty kick through the net or a corner kick from the wrong side of the goal.
    • You've got a fair number of shots that are focused on the background. You will need to work on focus technique and settings to avoid that. Shooting tighter makes that easier.
    Here are a few of mine from the last couple games if you want some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  4. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Is anyone else surprised when a person asks a question, some folks respond with thoughtful answers that took some time to compose and then there's no response from the original poster? Wouldn't common courtesy expect at least an acknowledgment if not something even more thoughtful?

It kind of makes you wonder why you bothered to try to help.

It happens all the time and I know you just have to get used to it on the internet (I see it frequently in dpreview), but I still think it's inconsiderate.

5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I'm with you on this one
    You took the time to wade through a GALLERY full of pictures and offered some great C&C
    This is very inconsiderate behavior
    I for one ignore post with direct links to a gallery full of photos asking for C&C

6. I think most here would agree with both of you. Consider as well that a lot of others also benefit from your time in answering a question. I have asked for C&C on this and other forums, with very little response. But I do read all the helpful comments I can find, and yours were especially thoughtful John. As a matter of fact, I printed the page out and browsed your smugmug gallery as well.

Mark - I always read your comments and I love your Duke photos. I compared the ones I posted this weekend from Durham to yours (no comparison! - Yours are awesome!), and I will hopefully do better my next time out! Keep posting 'em! Go Blue Devils!

There are a lot of people who benefit from your knowledge and comments, and I for one thank you. The OP should have as well, but remember that there are others like me who read your ideas and learn, even if we don't feel comfortable commenting or hijacking another's post.

THANKS!

Bill

7. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for posting Bill. That's a good point.

Since you gazed at my galleries, nearly all of my sports photos are in a different Smugmug account (http://friend.smugmug.com) and most are, unfortunately for the purposes of sharing, password protected because that's the easiest way for all team parents to be comfortable with the shots being online. Here's one from this season that didn't have to be password protected if you're curious. Challenging light in both of these, but I still enjoyed the shooting.

8. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    I'm Sorry

I'm sorry if I hurt anyones feelings. I spent the entire weekend using the advice that you gave me. Both of my daughters played in the Best of the Midwest tournament. The rest of the time I have been working. The advice was great and I am currently working through the pictures I took this past weekend.

I was trying to post a link to a single picture. I am new to the forum and I seem to be doing something wrong.

9. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    No hurt feelings, just expecting to hear an acknowledgment that you got the advice and did or did not agree with it or think it was useful. Glad to know you read it and tried to practice it.

To post an embedded image, you need to first obtain the direct image link. That will look something like this:

http://gallery.mac.com/tanasyd1/100393/JDB_1252/web.jpg

I got this link in your gallery, by going to the image in the gallery, right-clicking on the image and selecting Copy Image Location from the Firefox right-click menu. In IE, you can right click, select properties and copy the image URL from that dialog.

You then, can use the little image button at the top of the forum editor (the one with a mountain on it) and then paste that URL into the resulting dialog box. That will embed the image as a linked image and it will show for us like this:
    [​IMG]

10. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for the Help

[​IMG]

11. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Best of The Midwest

Here are some more pictures from this past weekend. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Great photos! I love the look of concentration you captured on the kid's faces!

DeweyB - good shot of the girls with the trophies!

Bill

13. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    You absolutely NEED to shoot af-c, not af-s - that's why they are soft

14. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks, the girls worked very hard for those trophies and I wanted to capture their emotion

15. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    I will try AF-C this weekend. Will my 70-300 VR focus fast enough?

16. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    The 70-300 should be quite quick to focus. AF-C is definitely the way to go.

These are much, much, much improved from your earlier batch. Now, just work on your focus technique to get a higher rate of sharp photos. The first one is pretty soft, but the second one is nice and sharp.

Good focus tracking technique takes practice. After enough practice, you will be able to follow the subject with the center focus sensor while watching the action and deciding when to take the shot. At first, it's kind of like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time (kind of hard to pay attention to both at once), but you will catch on soon enough. Even before you fully catch on, you'll get lots of good shots like some of these.

17. In af-a on the D90... manual says if subject is moving, continuous servo af is engaged. Should I still shoot af-c?

Bill

18. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    It should do just fine I would think. Randy will know.

AF-S will simply not work for people moving. Turning VR off might make it AF a little faster too.

Other things that work for me anyhow, my top 10 tips for soccer

1. Shoot wide open with fast S/S (over 1/1000s) - use ISO if necessary
    2. Shoot standard or neutral, not vivid
    3. Use 21-Pt dynamic focus mode
    4. Use EV to tweak exposure (+EV .3 if into the sun, -EV .3 with the sun)
    5. Watch for clean backgrounds
    6. Have a low shooting position (sit, crouch etc)
    7. Try to shoot with sun over your shoulder if you can
    8. Crop tight
    9. Get eyes and faces "up"
    10. The ball should be in the action shots, or shoot sportraits.

19. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for the advice. I have 4 games to shoot this weekend and I will try everything that each of you has suggested.

20. keep it up at least you have people responding to your post. great shots btw.