Soccer - some C&C needed

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by McQ, Oct 5, 2008.

1. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Lately, I've been feeling like I'm not getting WB right, especially in post. One of my handicaps is that I have to do all of my work on my HP Pavillion Laptop (I don't have a desktop PC). I'm working towards a new Mac of some kind, but that's another story!

So, let me ask you guys and gals. How do these look as far as color and/or WB go? Some of you have some very well calibrated monitors, I know.

Also, any recommendations on calibrating a laptop's monitor properly?

Thanks!

All shot with D3 an 300mm f/2.8. Auto WB (which I think does really well, but I may be wrong). Manual mode, Center-weighted avg., auto ISO. All EXIF should be intact anyway on these.

MCQ_0707.gif

View attachment 263098

View attachment 263099

View attachment 263100

View attachment 263101

2. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    They look pretty good to me. You may want to experiment with your color profiles. Besides the standard, neutral, and vivid, I have a people setting with nuetral as my base, but I increase saturation by 1 stop. It will gives the picture a little more punch.

Also, with white jerseys like that, put the camera in WB preset mode and use the jerseys if you are experimenting with WB settings. That said, these still look good to me, maybe just needing a punch in saturation, or even a bit of warming since it was overcast.

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Maybe a tad warmer but otherwise, very nice shooting.

4. McQ

Hi John. Thanks. Funny thing is that I did that with my D200, and never did make a similar setting with the D3. I'm not sure why I never did. It's a good idea. I always liked the way it made the D200 pics have that bit of extra color.

And those white jerseys. Agh! I hate them. Our team is supposed to be red and black! But they now use white for all the home games. But I guess I need to use that to my advantage for balance, as I think you're suggesting. Get a preset from them. Good ideas. Thanks!

Thanks, Chris. I generally like warmer colors too. These could take a bit of that for sure.

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    wb is fine but the 1st 2 may need some levels adjusted for some pop
    i shoot wb=auto or wb=sun even though i own a card (that i still haven't used)

6. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    The white balance looks pretty darn close to me. If the white shirts are supposed to be truly a neutral white and the black shorts are supposed to be truly a neutral black, then both show just a tint of a blue cast (they each have a little more blue in them than red or green). Since that is unlikely to occur in nature, it's probably a slight color cast. When I correct it with a curve, the cast is so slight that you can barely tell the difference after correcting it. That, I would say is a sign that you got it pretty close. Sometimes, these shots look more pleasing to the eye when they have a slightly warm cast to them, but that's a personal opinion thing - no right or wrong.

If you can't trust your screen, you may want to learn how to check on things "by the numbers". Does a white soccer shirt show the numbers to be a neutral white? Do black shorts show to be a neutral black? Does skin tone show the right proportions of the colors?

It sounds like your best bet would be to get a monitor calibration program (I use Eye-One-Display2) and calibrate/profile your laptop. That would help you get accurate color display that you could trust when you were using properly color-managed software (like Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture NX, etc...).

7. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    Well, at least you have numbers of the front of the jerseys. We have teams down here that don't believe in numbers on the front and it makes it really difficult putting ID's on them. :mad:

By the way, nice shots. Low to the ground and nice focus!

8. McQ

Thanks, John. This is helpful. Much appreciated. I'll make sure to take some time to learn to do the check "by the numbers" to be sure.

I'll look into that too. I want to be as accurate as possible now with my shots.

Thanks, Randy. A simple step that makes a big difference. Appreciate it very much.

Sorry to hear that, John! That makes it a real challenge. And thank you!

9. hey Glenn, you need a calibration device, one like the Spyder. In fact, I think there's one in the FS forum right now (Sypder 2) here.

The other popular one is the Huey. Both will calibrate your monitor, I usually do it 1x per month.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Another "me too" post.
    The WB looks good, or very close to me.
    I could see where just a bit of bump in saturation would help. Otherwise, these look pretty good to me.
    I like the last one best.