Soccer

Just wanted to post a couple and maybe get some C&C on them.

Tough lighting conditions, to be sure. I was just wondering if they are acceptable to the great photogs that shot soccer on this forum.

Taken with the 300 f/4 AF-ED. (Best I can afford at the moment.)

No choice but to shot somewhat into the sun at mid-day.
f/4, Matrix, EV=Neutral, SS=1/3200, iso 200
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Late evening at a scrimmage.
f/4, Matrix, EV=Neutral, SS=1/1600, iso 200
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Randy
a fine job of getting light on the faces
were these at f4 ?
what metering mode
what EV ?
exif ?

the 300/4 is a great lens for soccer and in some ways better than many alternatives due to it's light weight and fast focusing

a fine job of getting light on the faces
were these at f4 ?
what metering mode
what EV ?
exif ?

the 300/4 is a great lens for soccer and in some ways better than many alternatives due to it's light weight and fast focusing
Thanks for looking Randy. Sorry, edited to put in exif. I forgot that smugmug strips it when posted.

Real Name
Randy
Thanks for looking Randy. Sorry, edited to put in exif. I forgot that smugmug strips it when posted.
for even more light on the faces in backlit situations try CW or even spot metering and positive EV, start with +.3 and chimp your way along. Forget the backgrounds blowing, it's inevitable to get more light on the faces. stay at f4, that lens rocks wide open and your backgrounds look good

if u post the 'O' version sm keeps the exif intact....i almost never remember to post the 'O' versions because I don't resize to 1280 in post but sometimes I use the microsoft resize tool to resize to 1024, then posting the 'O' version works out

for even more light on the faces in backlit situations try CW or even spot metering and positive EV, start with +.3 and chimp your way along. Forget the backgrounds blowing, it's inevitable to get more light on the faces. stay at f4, that lens rocks wide open and your backgrounds look goodt
Thanks for the advice Randy. You are exactly right with the comments on blowing out the background. Thats why I stuck with Matrix, but if you are saying that there really isn't a way around it, I will try it next time.

Thanks again.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom