1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Brodman, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Just wanted to post a couple and maybe get some C&C on them.

Tough lighting conditions, to be sure. I was just wondering if they are acceptable to the great photogs that shot soccer on this forum.

Taken with the 300 f/4 AF-ED. (Best I can afford at the moment.)

No choice but to shot somewhat into the sun at mid-day.
    f/4, Matrix, EV=Neutral, SS=1/3200, iso 200
    [​IMG]

Late evening at a scrimmage.
    f/4, Matrix, EV=Neutral, SS=1/1600, iso 200
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  2. a fine job of getting light on the faces
    were these at f4 ?
    what metering mode
    what EV ?
    exif ?

the 300/4 is a great lens for soccer and in some ways better than many alternatives due to it's light weight and fast focusing

3. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for looking Randy. Sorry, edited to put in exif. I forgot that smugmug strips it when posted.

4. for even more light on the faces in backlit situations try CW or even spot metering and positive EV, start with +.3 and chimp your way along. Forget the backgrounds blowing, it's inevitable to get more light on the faces. stay at f4, that lens rocks wide open and your backgrounds look good

if u post the 'O' version sm keeps the exif intact....i almost never remember to post the 'O' versions because I don't resize to 1280 in post but sometimes I use the microsoft resize tool to resize to 1024, then posting the 'O' version works out

5. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the advice Randy. You are exactly right with the comments on blowing out the background. Thats why I stuck with Matrix, but if you are saying that there really isn't a way around it, I will try it next time.

Thanks again.

6. Now that I have the D700, I find that along with +EV, ADL helps to bring out the faces also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.