1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Soft Glow

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Scottn_photo, Jul 27, 2008.

1. I don't have a photo to sample or anything, but i was just wondering how some of you seem to get that soft glow on your images. Not sure if it is a filter or what not. Or an action in photoshop... but just the soft glow on the edges in the picture.

Also, the pictures in this post https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=180163 have the porcelain skin. I was just wondering how you guys do it. I use a quick mask and a gaussian blur. But your folks' edges are so defined and perfect. I can never get them like that.

help?

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    If you plan to do a lot of portraits, I recommend you invest in a Photoshop plugin called 'Portraiture' (www.imagenomics.com). It will save you hours of time and get you that 'look' in one click . . . :biggrin:

3. I second that. Portraiture is a HUGE time saver, and produces excellent results as long as you don't overdo it.

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I think I need to get Portraiture........

....in the meantime I have the Nik Efex Filters (not 100% sure what the difference is between a plug in and a filter - maybe the same thing?)

There are a bunch of choices from
    -dynamic skin softening
    - glamour glow
    -high key (also gives you a glow option)
    -funky stuff like "bleach bypass)
    And it has then U-point technology so you can control where the effect is really quickly without masks.

I think you can get a 30 day free trial to see if you like it...

5. Okay. thank you all ;) 

6. WOW, imagenomics is some plugin..the tutorials are impressive.
    A little pricey but I just may purchase. Use coupon code pnp2008 for a 10% discount. http://www.imagenomic.com/index.aspx

Thanks all for the suggestion...

7. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Help me visualize. you mean something like this?:

wabbit2b.
    NIKON D300    ---    500mm    f/6.3    1/80s    ISO 200

or this?
    wabbit2c.

8. The Second one.

I just want it so that the subject is perfect focus but then as you move out in the image. it slowly starts to glow and blur

9. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    The one above was done this way:
    1. Copy layer
    2. Change blending mode to screen
    3. Apply Gaussian blur to said layer
    4. Mask with an oval selection that is feathered, I used refine edge.

5. For my taste the image was too dark, but I was going for the taken through an old time make your own screen grid filter so I also added another copy of the original layer set to lighten and adjusted the layer opacity a little, and put it just below my screen layer.

Without that last layer, it looks like this:

wabbit2f.

It's hard to tell but it is darker in some areas around the rabbit and more focused.

Crop isn't where you would probably want, but it was the only one that I had readily available.....Been using it a lot...for other things.:biggrin:

10. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    No example but I was just fooling around with it and if you want to to give it a more...milky appearance then duplicate the screen layer then desaturate it and adjust opacity.

11. Alright. Thanks for all the help guys!

12. Crazy Cat Lady

Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2, 2008
    MI
    I am wondering the same thing. What is the difference?

13. I think a plug-in, allows more control. Like filter does a couple things... But a Plug-in would and could do many more and possibly alter your image far more than any filter could... Maybe...

14. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Strictly speaking...

Technically:

Photoshop plug-in

A third-party software product that extends Photoshop's capabilities. There are countless plug-ins that provide ways to enhance and change an image beyond the set of tools that are built into Photoshop.

Filter:

A routine that changes the appearance of an image or part of an image by altering the shades and colors of the pixels in some manner. Filters are used to increase brightness and contrast as well as to add a wide variety of textures, tones and special effects to a picture.

A plug-in basically an action that does the work of filters and actions but quicker.

I think of it this way: First there are individual filters and commands like Blur and reduce image. Then an action uses filters and commands, but there are limited things you can do with in the action. For example you can run an action that colorizes an image then sharpens it. but after you do the sharpen, you can't go back and change the colorizer effect. With a plug-in you can do all your settings to your liking, with out loosing the ability to go back and change it before finishing the routine.

Some plug-ins are just over glorified actions. I have one that splits a picture into strips and then does a bevel and emboss on each strip. It puts each strip on it's own layer as a smart filter object so you can edit them. Which all can be done through an action. Or manually.

Noise ninja and the like are just plug ins. You can do the same thing, through doing surface blurs of channels and and high pass sharpening and the like...if you had the time. They may have some algorithms and some other additives. But if you took the time to see what they did, you could probably do it yourself....if you had all day.

15. Crazy Cat Lady

Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2, 2008
    MI
    Thanks Sjlarue for the explanation I understand now :smile:

16. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thank you Sjlarue - very helpful!

17. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    No Prob. :biggrin:

18. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.