Soft lighting with flash..

Discussion in 'People' started by hangman, Jul 27, 2007.

1. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    Hi Everyone, I am trying to imrpove my technique with flash photography. Basically, I find that I need to use flash when taking pictures of my kids indoors. However, I do not like the flash look of the image. So I have been playing around with the flash to try to capture images that resemble natural light. So far, I think I have been able to get what I want but I would like the feed back from folks here. Does the image below look enough like non-flash lighting?

Regards,

Dillin

1/250s f/6.3 at 48.0mm iso100
    original.

2. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Dillin, it looks like a simple ceiling bounce to me. I find it a bit underexposed, and the colours a bit distracting. (pink, yellow and blue).

3. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I like to put my camera on either Cloudy or Shade white balance settings which warms the image up a lot and helps to neutralize the cold look of the flash. I'll try to find some examples later.

4. Hey Dillin,

I like the composition, but as Taylor mentioned the image appears to be a bit underexposed. To me, it doesn't look like a flash shot as there are no catchlights in the subjects eyes...

5. I like the portrait but will admit that the pink blanket does not fit in. May I suggest that you open this image in PS (if you have it) and go to levels, move the right slider in until it contacts the data in your histogram and it will improve the brightness and color. The image is slightly underexposed and this can be easily fixed in post processing. Cute boy you have there.