Soft & Noisey, Is It Me?

Discussion in 'People' started by Vin2k, May 10, 2007.

1. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    I shot these pics of my 3yr old yesterday about 6 on a cloudy day. I shot these with a d80 w/ the 18-135 kit lens and the popup flash. These shots are pretty noisey and soft IMO, when i sharpen them in photo shop the noise seems more evident. Would a lens other than the kit lens help with the noise and I also should be receiving my sb-800 today.

DSC_0055.

DSC_0085.

BTW, how do I may the photos show up on the post? Thanks I got it!

2. DSC_0055.

DSC_0085.

I think these are good photos. I find it hard to get the lighting perfect too. Remember it is all in the lighting!! To get your picks in the post you have to copy and paste the url of the pick.

1. Start new thread
    2. type what you want
    3. Go to the page you have your photos and copy the url of the pic. ( that is found in the properties of your pic online) or right click the pic and go to properties.
    4. Come back to your thread and click on the insert image icon. And paste the url there in the pop up window Your url will appear.
    5. Click preview post and voila!!

This is how I post pics and how I got your images on here.

Sarah

3. You've got a cute little girl!! Nice shots too. One thing that I've noticed on my uncalibrated monitor is that the white balance looks a bit off... It could be a green cast from the slide. The version that you've shown is a bit small to see the noise that you speak of but as far as softness goes, they look okay to me. Whatever softness you do see, I'm sure can be easily corrected with editing.

4. presence

presence Guest

Hi,
    This is my first post here so be kind!

First of all, nice composition.

I thought the photo was a bit overexposed (e.g., you can't read any of the detail on your daughter's t-shirt).

I used Lightroom and added 100% recover, 10% virbrance, 5% saturation. There's still an overexposed patch on your daugher's left shoulder. Sharpening was pointless since the OPhoto was a small jpeg.

Using a flash (like Nikon SB600/800) pointed upwards or at a 45 degree angle would make a big difference.

494033226_d6d8390e76.

P.S. I just calibrated my monitor with Spyder Express 2 & I'll still getting used to it... so 'my' photo of your daughter may seem a bit off.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  5. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    The 1st pictures I took seemed kind of dark so I think I actually turn the ev up .03 I guess that was a mistake. I shoot in raw most of the time so I guess a underexposure is always better than a over. I dont shoot as much as I'd like to, I truely need alot more practice. But even your PP is not my daughters true skin tone and as you said the colors are off on my monitor.

6. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    I had a d200 but I had to part with it and I notice the color from it was more vibrant than my d80 without changing any settings. Are there some settings I could change to get the vibrance of the d200 without any PP?

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Shane look at the white of the eyes, and the teeth,they are cyan in you image

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The originals look pretty good to me.
    Hard to tell to much more on a very small images as these are

9. Getson

Getson

Oct 10, 2006
    Halifax, NS
    Cute daughter!

Shane, I'm not a fan of those reworks you offered here. The originals were much better.