Softball Tourney Game 1

Shot a girls midget softball regional tournament this weekend and tried something new. I left the 300VR in the car and instead shot with a 70-200VR2 with a 1.4x TC, usually wide open at f4. Because of my only real shooting position, I would have been too tight with the 300. The sun was directly out behind left field, which meant I couldn't shoot from the first base side - which also meant no great angle on fielding shots. Oh well, it was either this or shoot backlit silhouettes all game. I also had to be a little higher angle than I would have liked because of a 4' fence that completely enclosed this field. No low shooting angle really possible here.

Anyway, I was pleased with the overall IQ from the setup really, except of course you don't quite get the same subject / BG separation a 300 or 400 can offer, especially at shorter distances and with typical close softball fences and cages.

Forgive the bias here towards the home team, but I have a priority in getting through their images than the others. Here's just a few I've worked through a little.

(1) Good leaping effort... just a little short
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(2) Focus

(3) The windup

(4) Play's to first

(5) Opposing chuck

(6) Digging for third

(7) I love it when they play hot shots by "using the force"!

A few batting shots...

(8) Line drive

(9)

(10)

(11) BOB

(12) A little Detrick... cheating of course by shooting from warmup pen

A couple sportraits...

(13)

(14)

(15)

... and lastly, I post this not because it's a great shot, but because the next thing after this shutter click was nearly me eating a yellow softball. I like to think my reflexes ain't too bad anymore, and played a little college ball in my day. But this one surprised me and thankfully I ducked just out of the way at the last second. Not that it could have done much damage to these looks...

As always, feel free to fire me some C&C... CHEERS!

These are fabulous! Great exposure with the faces well lit. Is this all done by the camera settings in the D3S or do you still do some PP?

No. 8 is a bit of an illusion as the ball looks huge, but based on your title I realize that the batter has already made contact and the ball has already moved closer to you than the photo might otherwise suggest.

Well done.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom