Softball :X

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Glas, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    F5.6 1/1600 170mm using 18-200mmVR
    What happened to my sky? It's supposed to be blue and not white :frown:
    How do I get blue sky?Comments and help please :smile:

507ybdx.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd sure like to help. This image looks backlit and a tad over-exposed, so that might be the start. While shooting that day, you probably would have benefitted by paying close attention to your histogram and your highlights. If you noticed blinking when viewing your highlights, you would want to try applying some negative EV compensation. Are you able to retrieve any additional EXIF data some we can see what you did? That would help us offer comments to help you for the next time out.

3. Viewing your EXIF data, it looks like you're shooting at ISO 1000 and you have an exposure compensation of +1. Change your ISO down to 200 and put your exposure compensation to 0 or maybe -3 or -7.

From the shadows, it looks like you're shooting into the sun and that doesn't help. The other problem may be that you're shooting in Center Weight meter mode, 3D Matrix might have done better.

4. Glas,

Judging by the orientation of this shot your camera was probably metering on the medium dark blue of the pitcher, based upon that it will blow out the highlights of the sky and anything light because of the bright sunlight. When you have such a large difference between the dark & light in a shot like this you're going to lose one end or the other on such a brightly lit sunny day. The hardest time to get any sky to show is midday like this game, so don't be so hard on yourself, I don't think anyone can capture the detail in this pitcher's face and jersey AND get the sky too.

You might want to try a different orientation to give it a shot though, if you were 180deg on the other side of the field then you would have a brighter subject due to backlit conditions, this shot is front lit because you're looking into the sun with her, so her shaded & darker side is towards you. This might give you a chance to have the whole scene brighter, and close to the light value of the sky at that point.

I hope that helps!

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for adding your help guys, this is why the Nikon Cafe remains the top photography site on the net. We have a wonderful community willing to share.....outstanding!

6. Agree Frank, some very cool folks always willing to help here.

I'll echo the comments above. Also, crop a tighter to isolate the pitcher. Check your AF and air for the face/eyes and blast away. Above all though, have fun out there :smile:

7. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia

[​IMG]
    Thank you for the replies, I appreciate them. I was positioned as in the above red arrow (click the picture)with the sun directly overhead :redface: Felt like a cooked lobster after almost 3 hours there. That's the only position where I could get a clear shot of the pitcher and hitter without the safety net ruining my picture. I chose a high ISO so I could use high shutter speed to stop the ball action. What shutter speed and ISO would you guys use if you were shooting softball in midday like I was? (This was my first midday shooting, do excuse my newbie questions :redface: )

On the right is my attempt at trying to shoot behind the safety net, failure with a big F :redface::eek::tongue: [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :biggrin::biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hi Lin,
    I know the feeling of a cooked lobster while shooting, I've looked like one often!
    During bright midday sun shoots I use a low number setting, ISO200, and since it's so bright I have to come off of f2.8 to move up to f/4 or slightly higher so I don't blow out the highlights. Then I also use EV adjustments depending upon what I want as my subject. If I'm shooting the home team in white then I use -EV, dark +EV and adjust as needed. By using Aperture priority then I get the fastest shutter speed allowed by the available light, and this should mean PLENTY of speed in this setup for you.

9. also Glas, for the 'behind the safety net' shots, typically if you press your lens flush w/ the safety net, you won't see the net in the shots. And, you may want to remove your hood depending on the light.

By 'net', I'm thinking it's a nylon net vs. chain link fence, so this should be even easier.

obviously, care must be taken for your lens, especially if it is a fence so as not to scratch something, either filter or bare lens.

See this thread for an excellent example by Frank and sage advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Well when shooting into the sun you will have to raise your EV to properly expose the faces, last week I shot boys lacrosse at +1 all day as I had to be positioned shooting into the sun. Raising the EV cause your SS speed to drop so it is needed to raise the ISO. I was shooting f4 ISO400 at 12 noon to keep the SS speed at 1/800 and above. I also under these situations shoot center weighted it seems to give better exposures.
    Sometimes when shooting for faces you have to blow the uniforms or backgrounds to get good exposure on the players.

Here is an example of an extremely back lit subject
    This is ISO 400 +1 EV and a shutter speed of 1/750s notice how the brown grass has lost its color but since it is hot tight and the bokeh is nice the color really is not important.
    [​IMG]

11. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    You guys have been great help, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: thank you. I wish I had a faster lens than 18-200vr when extended to 200mm :redface: ..time to save up and shoot more in the mean time :biggrin: