Softbox, flash bracket, and a wide angle lens?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 30, 2005.

1. I was concerned that the sb800 might not give me even illumination with a wide angle lens. To check it out, I tested it with the 20/2.8D at the gym... a cramped environment where I need the wide angle. The lighting in the freeweight room is horrible... a low level mixture of sunlight and flourescent. This was the best I could do without flash last week... noisy because I had to use high iso, and very difficult to color correct.

Today I used the CB Junior flash bracket and the LumiQuest softbox. What a difference! Here's a few shots of the same subject.

View attachment 12877

View attachment 12878

View attachment 12879

Here's a few more of my gym rat buddies. Note that with the flash bracket and the softbox, the shadows are diffused and inconspicious.

View attachment 12880

View attachment 12881

View attachment 12882

My apologies for the models. I can't wait to try this out during the week, when the ladies use the freeweight room :).

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Yes. Call us when you've photographed the ladies :D :D

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Hey, bring on the ladies, but don't apologise for the guys.

They look a lot more authentic than those body-hair-waxed-off, tanning-bed-bronzed, $200-workout-unitard, coiffed and polished gym poodles I see sometimes. The guys you shot look they're the real deal - men who work out and have a full life, not just reading the "lifestyle muscle magazines".

John P.

4. Yeah, that's why I didn't include a shot of me in my designer workout outfit :roll:.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Frank, The softbox does work well for your models - lighting-wise I mean - but it does leave the backgrounds rather unattractive. In focus, grayish and too busy. With the available lighted shot you needed to take care of the background because it was brighter, and you shot at a wider aperture (did you?) Hopefully when you photograph some muscle-babes, you'll have that figured out.

What am I thinking - we're not gonna be looking at the background, are we.

6. It's a tough background, Chris. If it were more illuminated, it would look even busier. The choice of exposure value for it was an artistic decision, not a technical dilemma.

7. Frank the last picture is the one i like the most, that man is very photogenic.

8. That's my buddy, Guy. He's 6'4", benches 245 lbs., and is one of the gentlest people you'll ever meet. He works as a TV camera man, and works out so he can lug the heavy gear around in the field.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

People laugh when I say this, but that's one of the main reasons I lift weights - so I can haul around all my bags and gear, especially with all of the travel I do. Serious weight-lifting allows a person to manage these things (mostly) without injury, or so I hope.

John P.

10. Hey Frank,

We'll continue this discussion when you photograph the ladies! :p

Seriously though, try bouncing the flash off the ceiling as well, which gives pretty good results. The softbox is great on softening the flash on lovely ladies as well!

11. Thanks for the tip, Jonathan, but the ceiling at the gym is about 25 feet up, and the flash doesn't have enough power to pull off the shots. I
    bought the softbox for a wedding I shot Sunday, and the reception hall ceiling was painted black :?. I had no choice other than direct flash,
    which is why I bought the softbox. I think it worked pretty well on the ladies...

View attachment 12884
    View attachment 12885
    View attachment 12886