1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Softbox for SB-600?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Mart61, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Hi guys

I just bit the bullet and bought a second SB-600. I have a brolly and stand to go with one of the SB-600s and now I want to buy a softbox or some other form of light modifier for the second.

Has anyone any recommendation that I could use that is easy to attach to the SB-600 and not too costly?

Thanks

Martin

2. Hi, Martin! Check out the Alzo digital softbox. It small (15x15 inches), is easy to hook up with a speedlight, and only costs $63 including the mounting kit.

I did a quick search, and found Alzo Digital has an ebay UK store. They offer the softbox for a buy-it-now price of £31.45, but shipping is very expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALZO-Softbox-...hZ018QQcategoryZ64354QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

3. UF,

Does the Alzo fold-up like the Lastolite ones (e.g with a twist)?

4. I've never seen the Lastolite, but yes, the Alzo folds flat.

5. If you don't need something big, I got a Micro Apollo 8" soft box with my SB-600 for around $35.

6. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks for your input guys - certainly food for thought.

Just a shame I don't live in the USA. Life would be so much easier (and cheaper?)

:biggrin:

7. After folding flat, the lastolite does the twist and collapse thing like the reflectors. Is the Alzo like that?

8. I don't think so, but I haven't flattened it since I bought it, so I can't tell you for sure that it can't.

9. Thanks.

10. Hi Frank -

Will these fit Adorama's budget monolight (round, 4-5/8" diameter) or are they specifically for rectangular flashes like the speedlights?

11. I don't know for sure, but I think they're designed for hammer style speedlights.

12. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    If only I was in the USA...

I was thinking that, perhaps, I could buy one of those food tent things for keeping bugs from your pies and doing a mod to it:

[​IMG]

13. Following this thread, i ordered (from Switzerland) this softbox on Sept. 3rd and received it FOUR DAYS later ! Super fast delivery !

It IS foldable, as it comes in a little flat bag (~16x16 inches), and very quicly unfolded and mounted on a tripod !

original.

The hole at the back is 3.38 inches in diameter, so i reckon it must accept any kind of gun-flash !

View attachment 261751

A big Thank You ! to Frank to have found this ! It will be in my car all the time, as the larger 24x24" softboxes + Elinchrom flashes are really too bulky to live in the boot of the car !

Cheers,
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
  14. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Hi J-P

What was the total cost inc P&P?

Martin

15. 99.00 US $ !

Cheers,
    J-P.

16. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
  17. I had a look at it, it seems good, BUT there isn't anything to hold your flash ! It would be great for "studio" flashes, since the 4 screws allo to lock it around the head of larger flashes, like Bowens, Elinchrom, etc...

I have two of these larger softboxes that i use on my Elinchroms: great, but not very "portable... That's why i choose the Alzo one ! It fits my SB800 (or SB-80-DX in wireless slave mode) perfectly, it's not too big and i can easely carry it, with a light-stand.

Cheers,
    J-P.

18. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.