Softbox for SB-600?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Mart61, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Hi guys

I just bit the bullet and bought a second SB-600. I have a brolly and stand to go with one of the SB-600s and now I want to buy a softbox or some other form of light modifier for the second.

Has anyone any recommendation that I could use that is easy to attach to the SB-600 and not too costly?

Thanks

Martin

2. Hi, Martin! Check out the Alzo digital softbox. It small (15x15 inches), is easy to hook up with a speedlight, and only costs $63 including the mounting kit.

94039662.gif

I did a quick search, and found Alzo Digital has an ebay UK store. They offer the softbox for a buy-it-now price of £31.45, but shipping is very expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALZO-Softbox-...hZ018QQcategoryZ64354QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

3. UF,

Does the Alzo fold-up like the Lastolite ones (e.g with a twist)?

4. I've never seen the Lastolite, but yes, the Alzo folds flat.

5. If you don't need something big, I got a Micro Apollo 8" soft box with my SB-600 for around $35.

6. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks for your input guys - certainly food for thought.

Just a shame I don't live in the USA. Life would be so much easier (and cheaper?)

:biggrin:

7. After folding flat, the lastolite does the twist and collapse thing like the reflectors. Is the Alzo like that?

8. I don't think so, but I haven't flattened it since I bought it, so I can't tell you for sure that it can't.

9. Thanks.

10. Hi Frank -

Will these fit Adorama's budget monolight (round, 4-5/8" diameter) or are they specifically for rectangular flashes like the speedlights?

11. I don't know for sure, but I think they're designed for hammer style speedlights.

12. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    If only I was in the USA...

I was thinking that, perhaps, I could buy one of those food tent things for keeping bugs from your pies and doing a mod to it:

[​IMG]

13. Following this thread, i ordered (from Switzerland) this softbox on Sept. 3rd and received it FOUR DAYS later ! Super fast delivery !

It IS foldable, as it comes in a little flat bag (~16x16 inches), and very quicly unfolded and mounted on a tripod !

original.gif

The hole at the back is 3.38 inches in diameter, so i reckon it must accept any kind of gun-flash !

View attachment 261751

A big Thank You ! to Frank to have found this ! It will be in my car all the time, as the larger 24x24" softboxes + Elinchrom flashes are really too bulky to live in the boot of the car !

Cheers,
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
  14. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Hi J-P

What was the total cost inc P&P?

Martin

15. 99.00 US $ !

Cheers,
    J-P.

16. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
  17. I had a look at it, it seems good, BUT there isn't anything to hold your flash ! It would be great for "studio" flashes, since the 4 screws allo to lock it around the head of larger flashes, like Bowens, Elinchrom, etc...

I have two of these larger softboxes that i use on my Elinchroms: great, but not very "portable... That's why i choose the Alzo one ! It fits my SB800 (or SB-80-DX in wireless slave mode) perfectly, it's not too big and i can easely carry it, with a light-stand.

Cheers,
    J-P.

18. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK