1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Softbox for SB-800?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by ShadowForce, Aug 12, 2008.

1. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Is there a portable softbox that I can use with the SB-800? I've used the 800 with umbrellas before but would like to try a softbox.

Thanks!

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Yes - Wescott make them.

3. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks John.

4. Alzo Digital offers their mini (15x15") softbox with mounting hardware for $59.

http://alzodigital.com/online_store/alzo_porta_flash_soft_box.htm

With the supplied hardware, you can mount it to a lightstand, but if you want to be able to tilt it, you'll need to use an umbrella bracket as well.

View attachment 238800

It's a small softbox, best used for head and shoulder shots. But when I position it close to the subject, I'm pleased with the results.

View attachment 238801

View attachment 238802

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  5. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Frank, thanks very much! I'll have to look into that.

The other option I have perhaps is to use the Gary Fong Lightsphere. Have you used that in the field much?

6. stephen99

stephen99

Nov 22, 2006
    Holland, Ohio
    I feel like such a tool! I just bought one of these by Lastolite and it cost about $150! Looks exactly the same.

7. A diffuser like the Lightsphere functions very well indoors, in rooms with white ceilings and walls. But outdoors, all it does is direct photons away from the subject, never to return. In other words, in simply lowers the guide number of your speedlight, and eat batteries.

8. OK Uncle Frank, I just ordered one.
    thanks for the advice.

9. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks for the link Fred!

Frank, that's good to know about the lightsphere. I hadn't thought about the inefficiency outdoors but won't forget it now!

I suppose if I don't end up getting the softbox then I can simply use the SB-800 diffuser that came with it.

10. What is the difference between shooting with umbrellas and shooting with a soft box like this? Is it that the soft box diffuses the light in a moor pleasing way?

11. edhu

edhu

Jul 21, 2008
    NY/NJ
    Frank, those are bunch of great portrait shots.

12. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    ashman - Yes, I think the soft box will produce a more evenly distributed/softer light. However, I've never really performed a 1:1 comparison between my umbrellas and soft box. I have been extremely pleased with the results from my Elinchrom Octabox.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.