Softbox, Octabox for SB800?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by pointa-b-c, Aug 7, 2007.

1. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I have an on location product shoot (7'x7' spas/hot tubs) coming up, and I need something bigger than my existing 3' umbrellas to cover the products. Do I have to go with bigger studio strobes like the ZEUS Z2500SH standard flash head? Or attach 4' octaboxes on my SB800s will be sufficient for this task? Thanks for any input, was looking at Alienbee's 47" Foldable Large Octabox, and don't know if those work with SB800s.

2. chris24net

chris24net Guest

3. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    Can you easily stick to sb-800's in the softlighter? Meaning, is the hole large enough to handle a double sb set up for increased power.

4. chris24net

chris24net Guest

I don't use a double set up, but it would probably depend on how closely the SB800s are mounted. Per Adorama: "every SOFTLIGHTER will fit any light head 7-1/4" or less in diameter"

So if you can get your two 800s stacked on top each other, or right next to each other, maybe.

5. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hmm, thanks, I might look into that. But comparing the Photek Softlighter to the direct mount, non-bounce kind of softbox or octabox, will one SB800 be underpowered? I have never shoot something that big before, so I am a complete noob for big subjects. :tongue:

6. I think you might find answers to all your questions here.

7. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thanks, barriosa. I checked that out already, pretty useful info there. I guess the Photek Umbrella - Softlighter II should work for my application.

8. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Walter, check out Alien Bees brolly boxes,

http://www.alienbees.com/brolly.html

You can get two 48" brollies for the price of one softlighter or four for the price of one octabox...

A couple of SB-800's and a couple of brollies will definitely do the trick.

9. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Nice, I am still shopping around and those will definitely help. Thanks. :biggrin: Otherwise, I am also looking at Amnova's ebay listings.

10. So Walter which did you decide on?

I'm hoping to pick up one of those softlighter knockoff's that Roy pointed to.

BTY thanks Roy

11. Roy,

Do you have any of these? Why so cheap...WOW! :eek:

Please let me know...Thanks.

Jim

12. I've got three, and I want a couple of more (so dont bid on any today :wink:)

They work nice. I bought an Alienbee brolly box the other day and I have already put it back in the box.

13. How do the SB800's fit onto these Amvona softboxes?

I have a small wilson and i've had to spend some time making it work with a tripod mount.

14. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I have one of these, is supposed to be one of the better ones to get. I have to look it up to remember what kind... You also of course, do have to get a head for it to attach to light stand or tri-pod. I am attaching mine to a smaller carbon fiber Gitzo, ROFL.

I think I bought a photoflex umbrella holder with flash mount, all unitized for like 18 bucks.

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

those guys should pay u a commision ...

think i paid .99 for my first one and like 3.50 for the second ...excellent quality stuff:biggrin:

16. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I am waiting for Amvona to ship out the Dynaphos 43" brolly box I got from ebay. First time I was outbid by $15.50, second time, I got it for $5.50. :biggrin: Let's see how good it is, don't think I will complain with such a low price and Dynaphos stuffs aren't that bad.

17. I have a 50" Westcott Appolo softbox and I have used it with one SB800 but personally like it better with two. I just tape the second SB800 to my stand (inside the softbox) and the SU800 triggers both. I personally believe this gives me a more even light not to mention the increased power.

My 40" Amvona UmbrelSoft softbox umbrella is mounted on a stand in the usual manner and my SB800 pokes through the front and the fabric ties around it.

18. This is an SB800 in one of the Amvona UmbrelSofts.

original.

this is what holds them