Softbox Size - Lager or Giant?? Help...

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Jetta32696, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Okay, here's the story...

I just purchased my first AB800 recently, and will be getting my octabox and stand today, but after reading a little, it looks like the large octabox may not provide enough light to do an adult full body portrait. Now I'm considering picking up an additional softbox in the event I want to do some full body portraits.

My dilemma is this - do I buy the large (32x40) or the giant (30x60) softbox?? I feel like the giant box will be overkill, but I don't want to buy the large one and it not be enough... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2007
  2. Keith,

Assuming you made a typo and meant to say softbox instead of octobox, get the 60 inch one. There's no reason other than some specific need to get the 40 inch one. You'll never outgrow the 60-inch softbox.

3. Yup, I did make a typo (edited the original post)... Thanks Woody. That's what I was thinking, but wanted someone to just tell me that my gut feeling was the correct one... :biggrin:

4. rdavid

rdavid

Mar 5, 2006
    Bluffton, SC
    Hey Keith, I recently bought a 7' octabox (no typo) as I have always been a firm believer of bigger is better when it comes to light sources. You can always move a big box farther away,to reduce it's effective size, as long as you have enough power. You can only move a small box so close, however, before it becomes a bit annoying! Woody confirmed the big box theory too!

BTW, glad you liked the NYC pics!

5. Thanks David!! I'm going to go with the Giant one...next paycheck... Now if I can only experiment with the octabox that I just received today. I got a few new toys, and nobody to play with... :-( My wireless triggers came today too...

The NY shots were awesome!!

6. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Did you get the 47" Alien Bee octabox?

7. Yes, that's the one I have. I put it together for the first time, but wasn't able to take any test shots of any people...

8. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I just returned the AB 30x60 softbox and ordered the AB 47" octabox. I sure hope it gives me enough coverage for full body shots. :frown:

9. I wish I would have known... I would have taken it off your hands next week... Oh well. I'm going to have to try some full body shots with the octabox and go from there.

Thanks John. That softbox cost more than my strobe... :biggrin: 7' is too large for me right now, but the 30x60 should work if I'm unsuccessful with the 47" octabox.

10. I recently purchased the AB800's with the 47" octoboxes. They cover a very large area. I had a family birthday party a few days ago and instead of using the Nikon 800 flash as usual I stuck a pair of SB800's with octoboxes in opposite corners of the room pointing straight up at the ceiling. It is a fairly large great room around 1000 sq ft. I was able to take random pics anywere in the room with good results They really filled the whole room very well! Ted B
    p23858936-4.

View attachment 87171

View attachment 87172

View attachment 87173

View attachment 87174

11. great fotos, D, wonderful family shots......1000 sq. ft. with two lites? fantastic....