Software Advice

Hello all. I have the opportunity to buy one or more of the following programs using a student discount:

CS5 - $199
PSE 9- $79
LR 3 - $99

I have been scouring the internet for days now and I can't seem to find a site that clearly compares these programs to each other. I know that LR is primarily a cataloging program with some editing features and I know that PSE is a scaled down version of CS5, but I can't nail down which program will meet my needs. I would really, really appreciate any insight you can offer.

I shoot almost exclusively wildlife using Nikon gear. I most often find myself wanting to remove noise from an image, adjust the exposure, and remove objects from the frame. I don't really need the cataloging capability of LR and I'd prefer to edit in raw if possible.

This leads me to a second question: what will be the major differences in quality between the PSE raw converter and the LR/CS5 converter?

Thanks in advance - I really appreciate it!

Thanks guys. Does CS5 have any organization/management capabilities?

No, but LR does. PS uses bridge which acts like a browser to your HD. I use both LR3 & CS5. Two similar but different tools that work together. If you don't think you'll use all the PS has to offer, then just get LR3 & PSE9.

CS5 and Lightroom 3
I have been a PS user for a good while now -- and never really understood the value of Lightroom -- but I kept reading on this Forum how usefull it is, etc -- so I ended up buying it --
Sure am glad I did -- love all it does -- and use it much more than I do CS5 now -- although I still use Photoshop quite a bit -- and can't see myself not having it

So get both

Two very different tools, both have their specific uses.
Lightroom is the work horse and PS is the finisher if needed.

Get both while you have the chance at a good price.

LR is a nice cataloging program with the very same editing capability as ACR ( raw converter ) in CS5.

CS5 contains photoshop in addition ACR. That gives you the ability to change objects or edit them out, add text, etc. In addition there is bridge and mini bridge which allow you scan folders on the computer and folders that contain pictures can be opened as pictures. It is up to you to put pics in proper folder when you download the files from camera.

A much overlooked feature is you can open multiple raw files in ACR, edit one, select all, synchronize settings, which changes the edits in all pics selected to match. This is a very fast transaction.

CS5 used this way is way more useful than LR. I know several professional graphic artists who agree.

Both contain a pretty decent noise reduction program, but it is more useful in PS because you can open the edited file in PS as smart object, add an edge mask, then bring it back to ACR and use the NR. The mask prevents edge softening and only allows NR in smooth areas.

Elements is a cut down PS with all the good stuff pro photogs need removed. Like buying a car with auto trans and radio, A/C stereo, power steering, power brakes, power windows are all missing.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Elements is a cut down PS with all the good stuff pro photogs need removed. Like buying a car with auto trans and radio, A/C stereo, power steering, power brakes, power windows are all missing.

+1

That's my opinion of it, as well. For the money, go with CS5.

Hello all. I have the opportunity to buy one or more of the following programs using a student discount:

CS5 - $199
PSE 9- $79
LR 3 - $99

I have been scouring the internet for days now and I can't seem to find a site that clearly compares these programs to each other. I know that LR is primarily a cataloging program with some editing features and I know that PSE is a scaled down version of CS5, but I can't nail down which program will meet my needs. I would really, really appreciate any insight you can offer.

I shoot almost exclusively wildlife using Nikon gear. I most often find myself wanting to remove noise from an image, adjust the exposure, and remove objects from the frame. I don't really need the cataloging capability of LR and I'd prefer to edit in raw if possible.

This leads me to a second question: what will be the major differences in quality between the PSE raw converter and the LR/CS5 converter?

Thanks in advance - I really appreciate it!

CS5 is the "ultimate" for photoshop....a lot to learn and 4 some a huge learning curve, I would suggest a couple of live classes if possible to get started or several online video tutes......

PSE is a chopped lite version of photoshop.....most people I have encountered said PSE leaves them unsatisfied and wanting for more features....

LightRoom actually started out as a basic raw converter that you could tweek some things like exposure, contrast and so on.....no layers, mask, or brushes or anything until recent versions (v2 I believe) and it has been getting more and more features.....still no layers.....but that is ok one can go to full PS for layers and such for pixel editing as that is what it is was intended 4.........

I am one of those that has had PS since PS5 and damn near quit using it altogether when LR hit version 2.....I hardly ever venture into PS (got PSCS4 just b4 PSCS5 came out) now unless it is absolutely necessary......I take a lot of pains to get a shot right in the camera and do minor tweeking in LR.......

I do use LR as my file handling program so it has been a great asset for me and I pretty much follow Kelby's advice in his LR for Digital photogs books on file management......

If you can afford both then go with PSCS5 and LR3....

If you're a raw shooter I would also get the FREE DNG converter and convert all my files before starting the editing or loading into my catalog library in LR....just my way of doing it

But the floormats and the seats are better. I'm always amazed that Adobe manages to get some features right in Elements but not in Photoshop.

Not that I would say buy PSE for that reason. Far from that. Just surprised that Adobe *does* know how to implement certain things and then chooses not to do so in Photoshop.

If you deeply edit images, nothing replaces CS. Content aware fill is very cool for a large number of replacements while cloning fills in where needed. Photoshop is still the king for photographic art work IMHO. Way too many cools tools, and bridge and actions can do lots of stuff to groups of images.

M

mayhem7

I would go for CS5. If you want cheap, you can just as well use something free like an old version of PSP or an online editor as picnik

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom