Software for detailed photo comparison

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Yes, I want to do pixel-peeking.

I'm trying to compare Lightroom with DXO PhotoLab and I'd like to compare images processed with each side-by-side at 100% or close to it. I don't currently have any software that will do that. Can anyone recommend something?

2. I don't know if it works on a mac but in Windows I can open 2 instances of a web browser (Firefox in this case) and open a jpg in each one. File>Open File
    I'm sure there are other options,but if all else fails......

Larry

3. Nikon Capture NX-D can.

4. I never installed that. I recall reading that if installed it displaces View NX2. Is that correct?

5. I just updated my post above :) I believe the older view and capture can too.

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Why can't you open DxO.......and Lightroom at the same time? Then size the windows side by side on your monitor. Then open the same image in each s/w and view at 100%.

7. I guess that would work. But I would like to scroll around in the view with both images moving simultaneously. I know I've seen that done.

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Clicking on each image to move the view would be very quick. And by actually using the 2 different s/w programs you could easily see if adjusting something (tone, clarity, etc) would make a difference. I just don't see the need for a 3rd piece of software.

9. I agree with Karen on this one. I use LR but may want to look at DXO. By having both programs open at the same time I can compare images and see if I can recreate a DXO look in LR (assuming DXO gives a better image.)

10. I'm doing that now and finding it very hard to get an exact match.

11. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Exact match of what you are viewing....or exact match of how the images look?

12. Capture NX-D allows you to compare 2 or 4 images and when you magnify 1 the other also goes up in magnification. On a Mac you can also open 2 images side by side in Preview.

13. The latter.

14. Thanks. Maybe I'll try that.

15. Pa - you could process one image in LR and export it. Do the Same with DXO Photolab. Then import both processed images into LR. Highlight the two images in the filmstrip and press "N". This will show the two images side by side and allow you to compare them.

16. Sounds like a pretty good idea. I may try that later.

Right now I'm finding it nearly impossible to get a good match of the images between the two. The displayed "as shot" white balance is different and I can't get them to match by adjusting temperature and hue. Even clicking on the same spot with the white balance dropper produces different results.

In addition, the DXO images appear washed out and lacking detail compared to LR.

And I really want to like DXO as the interface is pretty much perfect for my tastes.

17. You've probably made sure DXO's color management settings are the same as in LR, but it might be a good idea to double check that detail.

18. I haven't and I don't see where to set those.

Added in edit: you can set the color space on export, but I see no place to set the working color space while editing.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  19. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    I cannot speak for DXO but Lightroom and ACR work in a space very close to ProPhoto RGB with a gamma of 1.0 this to allow all the captured image data from all current devices to be used without clipping that would possibly occur using Adobe RGB. The screen display relies on your monitor having been profiled correctly. I would guess that DXO must work in a similar fashion to ensure that all data is kept

20. I knew that about LR but can't seem to find similar information about DXO. I don't know if color space is the reason, but the screen view in the editor window of DXO looks like I'm viewing the image on a lower resolution monitor when compared to Lightroom.