Software for quoting

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by NZDoug, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Whats the best software for rights management quoting for assignments these days?
    This stuff is always evolving and changing and there is always new players on the market.
    I know http://www.blinkbid.com is pretty good.
    Any other suggestions?:smile:

2. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. That looks like a great application - thanks for the link, Doug.

4. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I currently own FotoQuote and FotoBiz. I have played with InView / StockView, PhotoByte, and just started toying with BlinkBid. Of all of these, I much prefer BlinkBid's "way of thinking". While the others are quite comprehensive, their interfaces are a bit clumsy to use. BlinkBid has some QuickTime movies on the Features page of their web site that demonstrate their interface and how easy it is to create and revise estimates, and turn them into invoices.

InView / StockView from HindSight uses its own proprietary database. All of the others are built in FileMaker. BlinkBid uses FileMaker 7 Pro, and distributes their software on both Windows and Mac (Universal Binary) platforms.

BlinkBid does not include a pricing engine (e.g. FotoQuote), and does not have catalog features (e.g. StockView or iView Media Pro). However, it seems to be much more intuitive with respect to the actual "paperwork", and has a really slick license builder tool that helps tremendously in crafting a custom license for your client and preparing the language to properly define the terms of said license.

I asked BlinkBid via e-mail today if their data and license can be transfered between the Windows and Mac platform. They generally seem very responsive to support questions.

5. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    great thread

Just wanted to share a thought.

For the business of running the business I find QuickBooks to be very handy, and my accountant likes it too.

6. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I use QB Pro for official financial record keeping also, and my accountant likes it too.

For print sales, it works great. It even works for stock licensing. But there are some very photography specific features of BlinkBid that QB simply cannot do - like license terms generation, simple entry of expenses billed to the client, tracking advances, tracking license expiration, etc.

7. Hey Shaun
    Pleased to help.
    Walter- Good comparisons. THX! for your valuable input.
    I trialed BlinkBid and it intuitive and very specific, which is good.
    Giorgio and Walter.
    MYOB the most common business application here in NZ.
    I use MYOB for general accounting and would use BlinkBid or whatever, for quoting, then copy-paste the legaleze into MYOB for invoicing. Or copy it out by two finger if the copy-paste doesnt work.....:940:

8. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I spoke to the folks at BlinkBid on the telephone last week. They confirmed that their license and data can be transferred between the Mac and Windows platforms seamlessly. Their license grants you installation on two systems (like Photoshop), and they can be the same or different platforms (unlike Photoshop). I like those answers a lot!