Soggy D850

Real Name
Ken St John
This is a long, and very disturbing tale. Ron, I wish you the best.

I only sent my Nikon gear a couple of times to the West Coast center in LA, and overall I was pleased with the cost, quality of work, process and the turnaround time.

I have not had reason to send any of my Canon gear in, but I did some searching today and I do not see many complaints about this level of poor service from Canon. I am a member of Canon Pro Services, and supposedly I get a higher priority on repairs and some discounts on price. They do offer a free loaner service if repairs take more than a couple of days as well. Although there's nothing in the Canon world akin to Nikon Cafe, I did poke around and the horror stories were pretty few and far between. I also have not seen anything from Canon about them pulling parts and service from independent shops, at least not yet!!

Hoping for the best ...

Ken

(PS Honestly, most everyone here on Nikon Cafe would "qualify" for Canon Professional Services, unlike Nikon which never did act on my three attempts to join!!)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
This is a long, and very disturbing tale. Ron, I wish you the best.

I only sent my Nikon gear a couple of times to the West Coast center in LA, and overall I was pleased with the cost, quality of work, process and the turnaround time.

I have not had reason to send any of my Canon gear in, but I did some searching today and I do not see many complaints about this level of poor service from Canon. I am a member of Canon Pro Services, and supposedly I get a higher priority on repairs and some discounts on price. They do offer a free loaner service if repairs take more than a couple of days as well. Although there's nothing in the Canon world akin to Nikon Cafe, I did poke around and the horror stories were pretty few and far between. I also have not seen anything from Canon about them pulling parts and service from independent shops, at least not yet!!

Hoping for the best ...

Ken

(PS Honestly, most everyone here on Nikon Cafe would "qualify" for Canon Professional Services, unlike Nikon which never did act on my three attempts to join!!)
NPS has changed. They now accept a lot of applications.........

So far I have spoken to Nikon Thursday, Friday and today. This rep was the first one to put it in writing that he would try to get me a prepaid shipping label. He is also talking in terms of exchanging the body for a different refurbished D850. So far it's no label and no RMA. Perhaps later today I will have a label.

I must be cursed. In 201 I bought a BMW which had a clunk in the driveline. After 10 trips to the service department and a year, they let me trade it in for 2012 model for about $5k. I probably should have gone the lemon law route. It would have been quicker.

In 2018 I bought a GE Medallion wall oven through a home owner's warranty company. They delivered 4 ovens, each one had bent doors or doors which would not close. I got a refund and bought a Bosh oven from Best Buy. The exhaust fan was noisy so Best Buy sent a guy to swap it out right away. He dropped one of the oven doors and damaged it. I had him take a door off the first Bosch oven since it was only a few days old and I wanted to get it over with.

Last June I blew the tweeters in a pair of high-fi speakers. First a local shop replaced the drivers and there was a dropout in the frequency response. Then I sent them in to the importer's facility at a cost of $65 for shipping. They sent them back supposedly fixed with the same problem. This is something that could be diagnosed with a $100 calibrated microphone, computer and free software. They agreed to exchange for a new pair and paid for me to ship the old ones back. It took just over three months. I had to buy another pair of speakers so I had something to listen to over the summer. Heaven help whoever gets my old speakers as refurbished.

So, why am I not surprised by this clown show Nikon is putting on?

I must be cursed.
I also had a period of about 20 years in which many electronic things I purchased had terrible problems. The first computer I bought for use with Windows wouldn't work; the manufacturer was including an Intel micro processor for which Intel had already put out a bulletin indicating that it wouldn't work with Windows. A switch box for my stereo system started smoking big time the first time I turned it on. Lots of other problems made me feel jinxed. In time, that eventually passed and surely your bad experiences will too.

I "received" the prepaid shipping label today. There was no email notifying me. I signed into my Nikon account and it was there. I took it over to UPS. There was a Ferrari parked out front and some very good looking young ladies working inside.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom