Soggy D850

I might have another refurbished D850 by Wednesday. Meanwhile, I will summarize what I learned:

1. Weather sealing on the D850 either is shoddy or mine failed.
2. If water gets on your camera remove the battery immediately after getting indoors. Check for moisture and use rice to dry the camera out if necessary.
3. When you send anything to Nikon for repairs you will have no way of knowing what the initial delay will be without calling them, possibly more than once.
4. Nikon gives no acknowledgement that they have received your gear until after going through their backlog, currently 7 business days.
5. Although the initial $400 estimate was wrong, I have since found out that is usually what it takes to revive a wet camera. Mine was worse.
6. Nikon's repair service is highly compartmentalized leading to multiple delays after the initial delay. Nobody really takes ownership of your problem.
7. If the situation goes out of control like mine did, multiple calls will speed things up a little.

That's a very helpful list; good that at least we can benefit from your challenging experiences.

Check for moisture and use rice to dry the camera out if necessary.
We really can't check for moisture throughout because it might be in places we can't see. Some moisture inside may not presently be in a position that causes direct harm. However, one turn of the camera putting it in a bag, taking it out, or whatever might cause that moisture to move to a new position that does cause direct harm. So, if there is any reason whatsoever for concern about moisture, it's safest to immerse the camera in rice at least overnight.

I might have another refurbished D850 by Wednesday. Meanwhile, I will summarize what I learned:

1. Weather sealing on the D850 either is shoddy or mine failed.
2. If water gets on your camera remove the battery immediately after getting indoors. Check for moisture and use rice to dry the camera out if necessary.
3. When you send anything to Nikon for repairs you will have no way of knowing what the initial delay will be without calling them, possibly more than once.
4. Nikon gives no acknowledgement that they have received your gear until after going through their backlog, currently 7 business days.
5. Although the initial $400 estimate was wrong, I have since found out that is usually what it takes to revive a wet camera. Mine was worse.
6. Nikon's repair service is highly compartmentalized leading to multiple delays after the initial delay. Nobody really takes ownership of your problem.
7. If the situation goes out of control like mine did, multiple calls will speed things up a little.
That says it all—and it's the one thing that must change!
It is also the one thing least likely to change. From Ron's list and description I would wager that much if not all the senior management of Nikon USA is Japanese. The strict hierarchy, compartmentalization, top-down lines of authority and limited autonomy at the worker bee level are all hallmarks of Japanese corporate structure.

It is also the one thing least likely to change. From Ron's list and description I would wager that much if not all the senior management of Nikon USA is Japanese. The strict hierarchy, compartmentalization, top-down lines of authority and limited autonomy at the worker bee level are all hallmarks of Japanese corporate structure.
Yep, unfortunately I agree.

Ron. I’m only able to check in here once a week at the moment and I’m appalled you are still struggling to get a resolution to this. I can’t however say I’m surprised.
I often wonder whether we are coming to the end of the era where repairs are undertaken at all and items just become consumables.

Ron. I’m only able to check in here once a week at the moment and I’m appalled you are still struggling to get a resolution to this. I can’t however say I’m surprised.
I often wonder whether we are coming to the end of the era where repairs are undertaken at all and items just become consumables.
A $3000 camera is a bit expensive to throw out. What I see if the trend is not reversed by legislation is more companies restricting the flow of parts and repair manuals to monopolize repairs. Manufacturers are required to maintain parts for 7 years after a product is discontinued IIRC. going forwaard Nikon is likely to do what Apple does and refuse to repair any camera that is more than 7 years discontinued.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I have a tracking number. This too shall pass.
I trust in patience and perseverance. It doesn't always work, but I'll take the odds any day.

I once mailed a video camera with $5,000 insurance via the PO. Arrived damaged and returned. Of course the receiver didn't take photos of the damaged box, etc! However, the PO own tracking system lost track of the package for 3-4 days! I paid for insurance, offered them videos taken right before shipping and contacts that would verify that the video camera was working fine when I shipped it. The PO did not accept my information and yet just refused to honor the insurance. The THIRD time I responded in writing and said that I'd paid in good faith for insurance and I expected them to act in good faith since they had not even accepted evidence of the condition of the video camera when shipped, they finally sent a check for $5,000. NO threats, yelling or confrontrational actions. Just facts and data.

This morning I checked the tracking and it said the package was delivered a few minutes earlier. I had not heard the doorbell or heard a truck engine running. There was no package outside my door. Panic sets in.

A few minutes later a white Audi Q5 appears and a woman gets out and hands me the package. The moron from UPS had delivered it to the right street number on the next street over. I tell her she is an angel. The shutter count was 68 after taking 2 test images.

I don't know what to think anymore. If everything worked like this the world would shut down in a matter of hours.

This morning I checked the tracking and it said the package was delivered a few minutes earlier. I had not heard the doorbell or heard a truck engine running. There was no package outside my door. Panic sets in.

A few minutes later a white Audi Q5 appears and a woman gets out and hands me the package. The moron from UPS had delivered it to the right street number on the next street over. I tell her she is an angel. The shutter count was 68 after taking 2 test images.

I don't know what to think anymore. If everything worked like this the world would shut down in a matter of hours.
About 6 years ago we were living in Williamson County, Texas (north of Austin). One day we received a two packages from an online pharmacy. Right house number, wrong street. We took the package to the proper address. About two months later, the lady whose medications we had received returned the favor. My wife's medications had been delivered to her house. This sort of thing was a routine occurrence. We lived in the county and seemed to get a new "contract carrier" each month.

I trust in patience and perseverance. It doesn't always work, but I'll take the odds any day.

I once mailed a video camera with $5,000 insurance via the PO. Arrived damaged and returned. Of course the receiver didn't take photos of the damaged box, etc! However, the PO own tracking system lost track of the package for 3-4 days! I paid for insurance, offered them videos taken right before shipping and contacts that would verify that the video camera was working fine when I shipped it. The PO did not accept my information and yet just refused to honor the insurance. The THIRD time I responded in writing and said that I'd paid in good faith for insurance and I expected them to act in good faith since they had not even accepted evidence of the condition of the video camera when shipped, they finally sent a check for $5,000. NO threats, yelling or confrontrational actions. Just facts and data.
Facts and data and patience work... until they don't.

My son and his ex got new iPhones from AT&T Wireless (long story, amicable split, family plan is cheaper). Hers was delivered. His was not. After two months of trying to get someone, anyone, to take responsibility and fix it, he got a notice that his account had been sent to collections. For not paying for a phone he never received. Once "the benefit of the doubt" is abused, it is time to go straight past justice to vengeance.

That says it all—and it's the one thing that must change!
I doubt this will change, it is what works for them. when I was working we needed a new wafer fab, rather than sink the billions into building one we signed up to move manufacturing into a couple of under utilized fabs in Japan. we didn’t need two, but thought we’d be better off trying a couple and stick with the one that worked out. i got assigned to this project, I’d spent a significant amount of time in Asia and had a basic grasp on the culture. we moved people, test equipment and our processes in and went to work. it was a nightmare. our methodology was we’d run some wafers and test them extensively, and alter the process to get the yields we wanted. that is not how they ran their silicon fabs, not even close. we continually ran up against a very odd decision making process, it was very hierarchical, every decision regardless of its magnitude had to be run all the way up the management chain and then slowly make its way down to someone who could implement the change. it drove us crazy. our corporate culture was centered around taking risk and if you find a problem, you own it. neither of these fabs worked out, after a year of getting nowhere we bailed. I was happy, the safety measures there were pretty bad and no one liked being in the buildings.

I doubt this will change, it is what works for them. when I was working we needed a new wafer fab, rather than sink the billions into building one we signed up to move manufacturing into a couple of under utilized fabs in Japan. we didn’t need two, but thought we’d be better off trying a couple and stick with the one that worked out. i got assigned to this project, I’d spent a significant amount of time in Asia and had a basic grasp on the culture. we moved people, test equipment and our processes in and went to work. it was a nightmare. our methodology was we’d run some wafers and test them extensively, and alter the process to get the yields we wanted. that is not how they ran their silicon fabs, not even close. we continually ran up against a very odd decision making process, it was very hierarchical, every decision regardless of its magnitude had to be run all the way up the management chain and then slowly make its way down to someone who could implement the change. it drove us crazy. our corporate culture was centered around taking risk and if you find a problem, you own it. neither of these fabs worked out, after a year of getting nowhere we bailed. I was happy, the safety measures there were pretty bad and no one liked being in the buildings.
Yuck!

We constantly get miss deliveries. We also get where UPS shows that a package has been delivered but then doesn't actually deliver it for several hours later.

In our subdivision, within a block of the house, there is a side street that has the same street numbers as the homes within the cul de sac that we live in, and to make matters worse the street name is the same except ours ends with Dr (drive) and theirs ends with Ct (court).

One Xmas we were expecting package from my brother who indicated that it had been delivered and UPS actually had a signature. I went over to get the package and the homeowners daughter had actually forged our name on the UPS receipt and then had the gall to say that since it was delivered to them it was legally their package. I told them ok fine you forged my name and that I would contact the Police for fraud as well as immigration, as they apparently had both their immediate family and extended family living in the home. The wife came over later that evening and yelled at us for "not being very good neighbors" I told her that forging signatures by her daughter was illegal. I guess she went home and told her husband because he came over not 1/2 hour later and made the daughter and his wife apologize profusely.

We still get constant miss deliveries but in each case the family comes right over with our mail or packages. Spoken both to UPS and the Post office but apparently it's the managers of the sorters who don't really care. In fact one of the delivery drivers had actually put a note on the inside door of the mailbox to remind those delivering, our address and name. Apparently the management at the post office didn't like that and had it removed.

A beautiful woman in a white Audi; of course :D

And she signed for it?
She was tall, slender and at least 65.

No signature was required. UPS dumps the package on your doorstep, rings the bell and splits. The shipping label does not say Nikon on it as a security measure and I doubt that it is insured unless there is free minimum amount. They are hiding an expensive item in plain sight.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom