Soggy D850

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Excellent news! A refurb is supposed to be in "like new" condition. If the replacement is not a refurb, perhaps a "lightly used" D850? Either way, sounds like good news to me.

I decided to take the offer because this just has to end somewhere. It's annoying, but not terrible. Based on their response, it will be at least a week and possibly longer until I have the replacement D850. Had I known back in December, I might have bought a new one on sale. What really bothers me the most is a few drops of rain killed a weather sealed camera.

Nikon said the estimate would be updated tomorrow with a new price and I will have to approve it, just like the original estimate. Then they ship after couple of days unless they are out of stock which adds another 2 weeks. It's hard to understand how slowly they move.

APS turned around my 24-120 in a day.

Latest, Nikon did not update the repair status so I have to wait a day or to to approve the replacement.

APS made 2 serious errors in the shipping label and UPS could not deliver the 24-120 today. I guess their shipping clerk is high on legal dope. I will not use them again because of this. I have no idea when I will get the lens back, if ever.

APS made 2 serious errors in the shipping label and UPS could not deliver the 24-120 today...I will not use them again because of this.
Your dissatisfaction is understandable. However, if you decide not to do business with companies because of that kind of error, you'll likely run out of companies to do business with; that kind of error is prevalent in our society because it requires attention to detail.

Last edited:
Your dissatisfaction is understandable. However, if you decide not to do business with companies because of that kind of error, you'll likely run out of companies to do business with; that kind of error is prevalent in our society because it requires attention to detail.
Unfortunately, you are right. The post office has lost first class mail with checks in the envelope. People get killed because they think their Tesla autopilots are truly autonomous. It could be worse, I could get run over by one of those cars...

Nikon is very bureaucratic. On Tuesday they tell me the D850 is beyond repair and it will be replaced. It takes 2 days for someone to contact me with the real price. However, my consent to replace the camera has to go back to a different department before they can put it in the system and accept my consent in the repair system. Remember, they received the body on December 17th.

Meanwhile the address was changed on the 24-120 which is somewhere in the UPS system. When I try to track it they say come back later to see when delivery will take place. Had APS not gotten both the my name and street number wrong, UPS could have fixed this themselves.

There are supposed to be severe thunderstorms in Houston tonight. Tornadoes and hail are possible although flooding is unlikely.

Sorry, Ron. Really unfortunate events. APS should be able to recall the shipment prior to delivery wherever it was sent. I ran an operation that shipped 75k to 100k mobile phones / month. We had a regular process in place with our shippers since phones cost up to $1k. Their insurance should also cover any loss. Good luck with weather too.

Nikon is very bureaucratic. On Tuesday they tell me the D850 is beyond repair and it will be replaced. It takes 2 days for someone to contact me with the real price. However, my consent to replace the camera has to go back to a different department before they can put it in the system and accept my consent in the repair system. Remember, they received the body on December 17th.

Meanwhile the address was changed on the 24-120 which is somewhere in the UPS system. When I try to track it they say come back later to see when delivery will take place. Had APS not gotten both the my name and street number wrong, UPS could have fixed this themselves.

There are supposed to be severe thunderstorms in Houston tonight. Tornadoes and hail are possible although flooding is unlikely.
You probably shouldn't play with the new/repaired gear until after the storms leave :D:D:D

Sorry, Ron. Really unfortunate events. APS should be able to recall the shipment prior to delivery wherever it was sent. I ran an operation that shipped 75k to 100k mobile phones / month. We had a regular process in place with our shippers since phones cost up to $1k. Their insurance should also cover any loss. Good luck with weather too.
APS changed the address. UPS has it in their facility for this area, but a new delivery has not been scheduled.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom