Soggy D850

On the third day of my trip to Costa Rica I took a hike in a rain forest. They don't call it a rain forest for no reason. It rained like crazy. I took a few shots with my D850. The next morning it was completely dead. Drying it out did not help. Right now it's on the way to Nikon in LA. I have a working D800 to use in the meantime.

I don't have an estimate yet, and there is even a possibility it's a total loss.

1. Assuming it can be repaired what is the maximum you would pay before just giving up on it?

2. If the camera is total loss either because Nikon will not fix it or the cost is too high, what would you do?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Hopefully it may not be that costly of a repair. I used my D850 in the rain in Newfoundland and it got quite wet. Thankfully, I never had a problem. I understand that the small round button on the top left can sometimes allow water into the camera. Hope they can repair it for a reasonable price. I love the D850 - best all round camera I've ever had.

300,- sounds about right....If,..you will have to walk away , and seeing that your photography is rather demanding on equipment, I suggest to look into a Pro camera, even a 2nd.hander perhaps.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I believe Nikon repair includes a 6 month warrant and a "good as new" condition. Six months use to determine everything is OK would certainly be worth more well than $500 to me....... Only if buying a used item (no guarantees!) would be substantially cheaper would I consider going that route. But then, maybe I'm missing something?

Correct. What would you pay for a repair before walking away from it?

I am not familiar, I have not been able to keep up with upper-end bodies, I would guess maybe 25% of retail. Every year I hold the insurance bill and think do I really need it not being active anymore but they have paid out $2500 over the past 3 years, plus a flash and lens some years back. Sorry for your grief, at least my camera bag that overbalanced and crashed our luggage dolly at Melbourne airport happened as we were leaving. Jammed lens and damage body. I did not even turn in my beloved D-70, son-in-law took swimming. I got rid of him. :)

You know the history of the camera, that is if you bought it new. If the shutter count isn't getting high and everything worked as it should then I would go between 800 and 1000 as my high.

My thinking is sort of like what you say. Shutter count is low and nothing else was wrong. There is a 6 month warranty but it is conditioned on "related to the repair". What I think that means is they have wiggle room to get out of it. I hope to find out soon before the current sales are over.

I am really surprised weather sealing didn't prevent the issue. I can't imagine permanent damage. Hopefully, they open it up, clean, lube, etc and you are good to go. If it was salt water, then I can see it written off. Good luck!

I agree I wondered that myself as I've been out in the weather many times with the D300 and never had any real issue with it hope it is just a minor problem.

Ron: Did you use any type of rain protection when using the camera?

When you dried it out, did you submerge it in any kind of dessicant such as rice? Did you turn the camera on for 24 hours with the battery removed to drain all electrical circuits? The reason I ask is that when my D7000 stopped working after being in a light rain (that model is not fully weather-resistant), I was given that advice and it actually worked.

Ron: Did you use any type of rain protection when using the camera?

When you dried it out, did you submerge it in any kind of dessicant such as rice? Did you turn the camera on for 24 hours with the battery removed to drain all electrical circuits? The reason I ask is that when my D7000 stopped working after being in a light rain (that model is not fully weather-resistant), I was given that advice and it actually worked.

I had an umbrella and a water resistant case. Also, I got soaked to the bone. I did not remove the battery as the camera was working after the shoot, and that likely would have helped. At the time I was in a hotel 8 miles from the nearest store and without a car precluding shopping for anything. The temperature was about 72F precluding either AC or heat. I opened everything up and used a fan to dry it out.

Next time I will take precautions.

At a minimum a circuit board is damaged and will have to be replaced. I am hoping the sensor/shutter assembly is undamaged. Nikon should get the camera tomorrow afternoon and have an estimate in another day or too.

At the time I was in a hotel 8 miles from the nearest store and without a car precluding shopping for anything.

For the benefit of others who might get in the same situation, I was also in a hotel and, though I had a car, I was a very long distance from any store that would have rice. The hotel had a kitchen, so I asked for a large bowl full of rice. They got that for me right away.

Last edited:
Do you mean just turn to "On" position even though the battery is not in?

Yes. I'm told that drains the internal battery that otherwise is used to power all circuits storing information when no external battery is in the camera. Once that internal battery is drained, information in all electrical circuits is removed, allowing you to begin with a "clean" start once the camera is dry and the external battery is reinserted.

Latest threads

Top Bottom