Soggy D850

Real Name
Doug
First I totally understand - and agree with - the frustration with Nikon for changing its repair facilties options. I have used APS many times and been very satisfied. But Nikon, Canon, Sony and other manufacturers have always had the right to change where and how many repairs centers they authorize. And Nikon has NOT suddenly changed its policy on grey market items. Companies make changes all the time to doing work in-house, then out sourcing it, then bringing it back in-house!

However, I don't believe Nikon's position on grey market items is very different than that of Sony, Canon and other major manufacturers. A top Canon pro, and very good friend, says Canon repair approaches are also changing.

I found this information - which I think is correct....
"Sony, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji etc. will NOT honor the warranty on any goods not bought from an authorized USA dealer - and this is not just on camera equipment. That's the whole point of being an "authorized dealer" - buyers get warranty coverage.

Grey market. What are the rules? Simple really assuming that you are buying from an authorized dealer.

If you need service it needs to be returned to the country it is warranted in. So if it was warrantied in China it will need to be returned to China. If you need to discuss the return, good luck finding a Chinese rep that speaks English.

This is different from purchasing an item while visiting a foreign country. If you buy it while visiting a foreign country the warranty is transferable. This allows travelers to purchase merchandise while traveling abroad, but the camera menus are generally tailored to the country you are visiting. Talk to the retailer in the country you are visiting."

When I first started buying lenses, I scoured the photo magazines prevalent at the time. I researched all the ads in the back of the mags, comparing prices of both USA and grey market items from camera shops all over the country. What fun - I would spend hours planning my next acquisition!!!! :p I also read the fine print on "grey market" lenses that those mags had buried in the magazines. And fine print it was! Then I read a lot of user comments and talked to dealers. I got some favorable but mostly wary advice regarding buying grey market items. I decided for me, saving a few percentage points on price was not worth the risk of getting repairs and facing lower resale values on grey market items. IF I were to take that risk, it would only be on low valued items, not high priced items.
I had completely forgotten about those two-page spreads featuring a gazillion items. I still subscribe to one or two photo magazines and don't remember seeing that style of advertising in a long time. Most if not all of those ads are replaced by ads for photo tours.
Yep - I've dated myself again! LOL! And I've have a well earned reputation for .....analysis paralysis!
I remember those adds very well, too! The internet of our youth; the great time suck! I am certain that I could no longer read those adds, and certainly not the fine print!
My memory is that everything in those ads was fine print; the stuff we would call fine print today was miniscule print!
I, too, am a sad victim of analysis paralysis and scoured the ads in the photo mags (and the audio and video mags). My work used to take me to Manhattan pretty often so I also managed to visit most of the vendors who placed those ads. Some, like 47th Street for example, had real stores and multiple locations. Some were tiny "offices" with little to no inventory (warehouses were often in New Jersey where real estate was cheaper). Most are long gone. I miss those days.

there is no choice, only a single repair facility in The US that Sony sends their repairs to.

A friend of mine recently used a local retailer to inquire using their resources about getting her Sony camera repaired. She felt the first estimated cost was too high. The retailer got an estimate from a second company that was about one-third less. She agreed to the estimate from the second company and was thrilled with the quality and timeliness of the service. She most definitely was not limited to using just one repair facility.

Last edited:
A friend of mine recently used a local retailer to inquire using their resources about getting her Sony camera repaired. She felt the estimated cost was too high. The retailer got an estimate from a second company that was about one-third less. She agreed to the estimate from the second company and was thrilled with the quality and timeliness of the service. She most definitely was not limited to using just one repair facility.

That's reassuring to know in case I ever need to get any of my gear repaired! I'll admit that I didn't give much thought one way or another to repairs when choosing my system -- probably because I never had to worry much about repairs in the past with my Nikon bodies and lenses. In the meantime I'll just continue as I always have been, trying to be careful with cameras and lenses and hope that I don't ever need to worry about repairs.....

I see Sony as the best exit path from Nikon. The a7r iv is a nice camera and Nikon lenses will work on it with a 3rd party adapter. Canon is behind both Nikon and Sony in technology. I'm still waiting to hear the bad news. On account of high used D850 prices the cost level at which repair is economic is also high, especially considering the low shutter count and good cosmetic condition of the body.

She used District Camera, which is probably where she bought the camera.

That's where I bought my new A7R IV and lenses, too, and where I had bought my Sony RX100 series cameras as well, and quite a few years ago, the NEX-7. When I'm ready in a couple months or so, I'll be heading back there to buy another lens or two as well. They've got a new store now in the Clarendon area but I haven't been to that one yet; traffic and parking are a hassle. I usually go to Burke, a little longer drive but easier parking!

I too am 4months into a switch to the sony system. A7riv, 3 zooms covering 24-600mm. 1.4 and 1.8 primes from 22 up to 135mm.
Looking at the nikon roadmap, I saw nothing that I wanted to grow into.
Pack is now much smaller and lighter. My wallet is also much smaller and lighter.
I have a pretty large nikon collection, sold one lens so far.
The transition was difficult. A lot of muscle memory from 50yrs of nikon gear had to be unlearned.
But, my goals were met. I have vision issues, and can compensate better with the sony equipment.
It is still a camera. Manual exposure works the same.
Lenses are lighter and as sharp, or sharper, than my nikon equivalents.
Birds in flight are still questionable. There is a learning curve and it gets better each time I am out, but I know the nikon idiosyncrasies better. Time will tell.
It is a big decision. I thought about it for months, but I am glad I went for it when I did.
Gary

Ditto here, Gary! It took me a long time to arrive at the decision I did and I do not regret it. I also agree about the muscle memory thing -- STILL having to consciously remember to place my finger correctly when getting ready to remove a lens! No problem putting a lens on the camera, though. My wallet and bank account definitely are much smaller and lighter -- whew!!!! It will be a while yet before I am ready to add another new lens or two to my small group, but that day will come. In the meantime I can fill in some gaps with my "bridge" camera, the RX10 IV, if I need more reach or something a bit wider. I am happy with my lens choices, especially the 90mm macro and the 135mm f/1.8, and in due course of time will get what else I need (or want). It really was the macro lenses that were a driving force in my decision to switch from Nikon to Sony, as there were no macros anywhere in sight on Nikon's "roadmap" for the Z camera series, and that was not satisfactory to me.

Not bad. Actually $100 less than my prediction. Isn't it amazing how they know the limits we will pay to fix a device? This quote would never be given on a similarly damaged D810.

I hope the repair results in a like new body, but I'm making a mental note to avoid buying a used D850 from Ron in the future. I submerged a D200 years ago while kayaking with my youngest daughter. Immediately removed the battery and stuck the body in rice for several days. It worked flawlessly after that incident, but I never had the nerve to sell that body once I moved on to newer cameras.

Not bad. Actually $100 less than my prediction. Isn't it amazing how they know the limits we will pay to fix a device? This quote would never be given on a similarly damaged D810.

I hope the repair results in a like new body, but I'm making a mental note to avoid buying a used D850 from Ron in the future. I submerged a D200 years ago while kayaking with my youngest daughter. Immediately removed the battery and stuck the body in rice for several days. It worked flawlessly after that incident, but I never had the nerve to sell that body once I moved on to newer cameras.

Due to the turnaround time on non local repairs I kept my D800. I plan to do the same with the D850. Reflex is far from dead with Nikon releasing the D6 and D780 soon. Next time I am out in the rain aside from being more careful, I will pull the battery and open up the camera.

Due to the turnaround time on non local repairs I kept my D800. I plan to do the same with the D850. Reflex is far from dead with Nikon releasing the D6 and D780 soon. Next time I am out in the rain aside from being more careful, I will pull the battery and open up the camera.
I kept my D800 for the same reason.

I can't afford to be without a backup camera...especially if I'm 2,000 miles from home when the D850 malfunctions.

Glenn

This just showed up on Nikon's service portal:

Product Replaced - Approved on 1/2/2020

D850
Order Number: XXXXXX
Serial Number: XXXXXX
UPS Tracking Number:
Problem: LIQUID DAMAGE CLAIMED BY CUSTOMER CAMERA WILL NOT POWER ON REPAIR PRICE EXCEEDS PRODUCT VALUE CLEAN AND CHECK ALL TO GWO
Total cost of repair: $398.84*

I imagine they will send me a refurbished camera. Let's see what the UPS man brings.

Meanwhile APS received my 24-120 on Monday, sent out a rather high estimate on Tuesday. I'm going to get it fixed anyway because the difference between what I feel is high and reasonable is $50 and it's not worth obsessing over it. It will hopefully be back here by next week.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom