Solar Printing

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Equis25, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Yesterday I went with friends to a Exhibit of paintings/ collages and discovered that the artist had used some form of Solar Printing in the process of making her works.

Another artist had works that involved use of large negatives in creating the end product.

The material is photo sensitive <UV spectrum> and needs sun light to be exposed. It is developed in tap water.

Has any of you reading this, experience with this type of process?

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's called 'Printing Out Paper' or POP for short. It's really cool. You need to keep the prints protected from strong light because that will fade them, but otherwise it's rather robust.

I've long wanted to make a solar enlarger so I could POP small negatives (I have made POP panoramas made with 120 sized negatives.) Here's a kit you can get to do this.

3. Solar Print Kit

Chris,

Thanks for the link. The idea seems pretty cool. I'll order a kit to experiment with some of my 120 negatives. I am also thinking of printing on acetate a b/w digital photo reversed to a 8x10 negative and use that and see what happens. <It might be possible that a chemical exists that could overlay the finished work to protect it from fading due to exposure to light.>

May be as much fun as developing in coffee!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.