Sold D80, Quitting Photography

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by michaelnel, Jul 11, 2007.

1. I've become totally discouraged with my photography, so I sold my D80 and some lenses a couple nights ago. I no longer own a camera. I have more lenses (Tokina 12-24 and Sigma 105 Macro), Markins camera plate for D80, Kirk L bracket for D80, and a Lexar Pro 133x 4GB SDHC card with reader now listed on EBay.

Bye. You folks have been great.

Michael

2. My photography has consistently disappointed me. I can do the stuff technically, but I have no artistic sense. I don't care if anyone else likes my stuff, but if *I* don't like it, then why do it?

3. No, I have had good results in the past on EBay.

4. Zensu

Zensu

May 5, 2006
    Alabama USA
    same problem decades ago!

I went through the same disappointment many years ago when I started out shooting film. Another amatuer suggested that I look at my images and try to figure out what I didn't like about the photo and how I could have done it better. I had to shed the "brainwashing" effect of the popular photography magazines and discover what "I" liked visually. This worked for me and I've been shooting for 40+ years.:cool:

5. Michael,
    I too think to know what's passing in your mind. I went through your site, and there I read (your words) " I don't have any aspirations to become an artist or a pro, but I enjoy doing the best I can with my photography efforts. I make photographs primarily to please myself."

I also read that you were in the 4x5 MF field years ago, so you KNOW what extreme quality is. I don't know many times I told here that my (new-discovered) slides satisfy me much more than my DSLR, despite this is practical indeed. But it's not only about IQ, and I understand you again - and, to tell the truth, I think you shoot much better than me, your experience is visible, I liked your "Mono Lake"; it's a kind of vision and rendering still SO far from me - but the whole effect yielded by the shot. I too don't like my own shots and I too I'm still wondering if I'm really on my right way. Look at my brother shots: he's just an amateur, no courses, no theory, nothing, and he is always able to get much interesting shots than me. What envy I have of his eyes (not about the camera, a Canon film reflex) What can you do? Even if I would ever kill him, I wouldn't have his eyes.. As in soccer.. My brother is really a gifted guy, but he NEVER wanted to apply seriously his gifts: he could be able to play in the local soccer A-series, if he had just wanted to continue. No, for him soccer was just a "play/sport/game" but not his reason of life, so, after a tryout in some big teams, he decided to leave. So for photography. Give a look to his indian or cuban shots. He's really a reporter inside, but even if he would admit that, he wouldn't care. He has just fun to shoot, stop.

So, don't give up, my friend, I guess the cameras will be always a part - important - of your life. Don't deny that. Change, maybe: come back to the MF or shooting slides.. Every time someone sees me with my film camera, looks at me as if I was something old, but if I just go to the apennin, where people are remained "as once", all is different and I feel home. I shoot slides, I'm happy, stop. I haven't any idea on what could be in future, at worst I'll think when I'll realize it. Even if I'm not usually for the carpe diem phylosophy, here I can't really change things. I usually act AFTER I have a reason to do that, not BEFORE.

Don't worry, though, don't descourage. Do whatever you feel day by day. But don't deny your photographic eye. You have it maybe you just have to discover it or to see into another way to appreciate it.

6. Michael,
    Visited your site. Your landscapes work at Yosemite and Mono lake is superb. I must say take a temporary break and get started again.
    Best of Luck,

7. Honestly, you guys make me blush with your compliments. Even though you guys seem to like some of what I have done, *I* honestly feel really "blah" about pretty much all of it.

Tastes vary, and I guess the stuff I admire the most is the stuff I don't seem to be able to do. For instance, I look at the pictures in Tim Fitzharris' new National Audubon Guide to Landscape Photography, and I have puddles of drool on each page. The guy absolutely knocks my socks off. It's more his ideas and his way of visualizing the scene than it is his craftsmanship (although that is awesome too).

I may get back into it from some other angle. I dabbled in 35mm film after my 4x5 experience, and although I had great equipment (Nikon F4HP and Nikkor lenses), I never really felt good about what I did then either.

When I did 4x5 (my first serious attempts at photography as art), I studied Ansel Adams and Fred Picker. I learned the Zone System, I had Sinar studio and Zone IV field cameras, lots of very expensive Schneider and Nikkor glass, 4x5 B&W darkroom with Zeiss enlarger lens, etc... I humped that heavy equipment all over the Sierras & Utah and Arizona and even to Hawaii and took loads of B&W, negative film and transparencies. Others have looked at my 4x5 stuff and loved it, I think it all pretty much sucked to the point where to this day I have never printed most of them.

I am my own worst critic and always have been, but honestly, I don't see that changing, because fundamentally, I don't like myself very much.

8. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    I'm aspiring to be as good of a photographer as you!
    Seriously! Just take a look at my "measly" Pbase account.
    Hope you pick it up again some day, you do have talent.

Lisa

9. :eek::eek:I hope this is not true. If so, this is a far bigger issue than simply quitting on photography. I hope you take care of that before worrying about what to take pictures of. Good Luck.

10. D200Man

D200Man Guest

Sorry to hear that, But as I have been told to many time.. I am to critical on myself...

That makes sense, but after 2 years of DSLR shooting I am JUSt now getting some results on my macro shooting.
    I thought well if I bought this and that it would make it easier, but I just found I had to stop and go back to basic settings and let the camera do the work till I understand how in a given light my camera's meter and f/stop and shutter (flash etc.) works together. Now that I am seeing the basics I have been working off these with manual, or apeture settings.

Results are getting SO much better, I think I might buy me more stuff.

Give yourself a break. get a basic point & shoot for a standby till you revamp your spirit.

Cheers!

11. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I like your work very much. some great stuff in there. I know how you feel. not that excited about my work. but I have some decent shots I do like. its just a very small percent.

I just enjoy getting out of the house once a week with a freind and just being creative.

12. Bummer but I understand a little. I've been told I was a decent guitar player but quit. Just didn't do it for me.

If photography is distracting you from enjoying the world around you and is pressuring you to do something you just don't feel then...well you can always come back when you're ready!

I hope you find what you're looking for!

13. Roosje

Roosje

May 25, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Michael,
    I have looked at your photos and I think them quite good, but I know what you are going through, I went through the same phase with my painting, I was good, but never satisfied. I refound that pleasure I had in my painting now in photography. I have decided just to enjoy and not expect too much. I hope that this time I do not come to that point that you are now going through and hope also that you find what you are looking for.

14. I too took a hiatus from shooting 35mm film and it was not until I rekindled the desire with digital that things began to gel with me. Of course I first had to get on top of the post processing before this became a reality.

I hope you do not give it up entirely as your photography is quite good. Perhaps a different direction as to what you photograph; i.e., landscape to people or to sports, etc.

15. Quitting's OK. You may be better than your think, but your standards and opinion are all that matter. If a hobby isn't making you happy, there's no reason to do it.

I quit golf 4 years ago after 35 years of mediocrity, and haven't missed it a bit .

I quit smoking 2 years ago, and miss it a lot, but that's a different matter :Smoking:.

Spend your time and money on passtimes that bring you joy. Photography's not the only game in town.

Besides, if everyone took pictures, who could I sell my pictures to :666: ?

16. I have to agree with you Frank.... I raced cars for over 25 years, and although I miss the excitement of driving, my Bank balance has been extremely happy ever since I gave up racing....:smile:

You got to do what you like, and not what pleases anyone else, and if one day you get the bug again, well at least you know that you have the talent to do it... Good luck on what ever you decide to do.....

17. Like Ricky Nelson said in "Garden Party":

"You know you
    can't please everyone
    but you
    got to please yourself"

18. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Michael,

You in my view definitely have an eye. We sometimes are our own worst enemy, by being very critical of the work we do. This only makes us better I feel because we strive for the best. Your work is outstanding and I'm working on improving my work as well.

Don't give up on your passion, you're an inspiration to many of us.

19. bernardf

bernardf Guest

Michael, wouldn't you miss the simple act of photographing? That in itself is justification enough for going on.