Sold the 200-400 Today

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jfenton, Mar 28, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I sold the 200-400 today and a hunting a 500f4.

Does anyone really know what the major differences between a ASFI vs an ASFII are besides price / weight and a minor difference in minimum focus???

I have found several AFS I's in the 4K range and an AFS II for $4600 from Bob Johnson of EarthboundLight...however it is gray and black (Canon colors?) AND it''s a Gray market although he claims it's in mint condition.

A) I don't know if I could stick that thing on my camera.

B) Where the heck do you get them fixed if you have a problem? Good Old Nikon USA won't repair them???

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi george...

It's an AFSI and I've located a couple in mint condition for a bit less.

I found a mint grey bodied one but it's also gray market and I don't think that I'd be able to get it fixed if something webnt wrong with it.

Thanks for your link :)

3. You can get it repaired but not in the USA. You can send it to Japan and I believe there are other countries which have authorized repair centers and will accept grey lenses from the USA. UPS costs are not that prohibitive. One thing I was told. If you send the lens to Japan, it is a good idea to have your written instructions interpreted into Japanese. One person sent a lens to Nikon Japan and recieved service that he did not ask for because of a communications mixup.

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

Holy Smokes...there's one right down the street from my house that I didn't even know existed!

I'll have to dial them up as soon as they open.

Now the only question is...do I dare put a gray and black one on my D2X????

5. Re: Frank

Great. Please confirm that they will repair gray market gear.

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

NONE of them will handle gray market repair.

I have however called Nikon Canada in toronto and I spoke to the head service manager. They will repair any Nikon LENS, no matter where it is purchased in the world....be it in-warranty repairs or out of warranty repairs.

7. Re: Frank

Nah, they'll do anything to make a buck :lol:.

As a test, I called the independent authorized repair shop near Haverhill. Told them I had an AF-S lens I bought on eBay that had a sticky focus ring, and that I just learned it was gray market. They didn't have a problem with repairing it, but cautioned me that if it was beyond the scope of their shop, they couldn't send it on to Nikon USA for me.

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I should clarify

They'll fix anything that DOESN'T REQUIRE PARTS.

They need to send the lens serial number in with all parts oirders and Nikon USA absolutely won't sell to them if it's an imported unit.

At least that's what the folks in Arligton..near Haverhill....told me this morning....along with the folks in Bostsn, CT and NY

9. Re: I should clarify

Aha! Sorry, JF. I guess I didn't dig deeply enough.