Solid rocket boosters fall away..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trish5, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Hi Everyone,

long time no post!

I went to the river and attempted to capture some shots of the launch: i was about 35 miles downrange.

A wide angle view:

[​IMG]

with 70-200VR/TC 1.7:
    [​IMG]

My favorite shot even though teeny-tiny: boosters falling away

[​IMG]

A dolphin surprised me while waiting for crowds to clear:

[​IMG]

And one last shotbefore I left. The fat part in the middle of the cloud is the result of when you hear " Go with throttle up" ..which is a chilling sentance for me. The first shuttle launch I viewed live was the tragic one on that very cold january day.
    [​IMG]

2. OK, way cool.
    35 miles is way closer than I was. (in TX)

BTW the VR/1.7 combo is a great one. I use mine on it and my 300f4 which is amazingly sharp but needs a better tripod that I have(uh-oh...$ alert).

3. Thanks for sharing your experience Trish. Sounds like you had fun and have some images to prove it.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Trish! Wow - great shots. I know what you mean, I was on the edge of my chair after the launch. I can't tell you how nervous I'm gonna be on re-entry, but it's all gonna be good!

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Hey Trish! Glad to see you post these! Saw your post on dpr but I'm not registered there so couldn't reply. Really like shot #3 -- great timing! And I also like the last one. It seemed the skies were much better "over there" than they were "over here". We had puffy clouds so I couldn't watch the SRBs fall off. Usually you can see them even with the naked eye. I love seeing the smoke trail even long after the shuttles/rockets have launched.

Thanks again for sharing!

7. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Hi vernon,

I was using the door frame as my tripod...I usually hand-hold 95% of my shots.

8. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Kevin!
    I have been much more of a lurker these days...the carpal tunnel keeps me off the keyboard :( . I save my hands mostly for shooting and PP. But I have missed participating on forums..so I am trying to post more.

it was not cloudy here; just hazy for the launch. harry keeps asking me to try out his 500mm...I don't want to even touch it becuase then I will want one...but I imagine the 500 would have captured quite a bit better.

PS..have been watching your posts...you are doing an excellent job!

9. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    thanks. Yup...fingers crossed too!

10. Excellent job Trish, must have been so exciting to see! Thanks for posting these for us!

11. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    hi gordon,

It was worth the wait!

12. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    nice shots...

hey Trish,

Thanks for sharing. My biggest hope is that everyone comes home safe and sound.

-JM