SOLUTION: Synchronizing Folders

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Walter, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    This was discussed recently. I am new to the Mac platform, but I am a UNIX administrator in my first career so I was determined to research this and get a solution. I have more than 160GB of image files, client contracts, etc, that I want to insure are backed up reliably to multiple disk drives. I went to Apple's web site and scanned all of the Automator actions and found these three that I am still toying with.

These all look promising. All have the same author.

UPDATE: I have been testing the Backup Folder automator. It works as advertised, but is not very fast. It has been running for several minutes now comparing to relatively small olders (3.77GB) as compared to my production image drive with 160+GB.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  2. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    If you're a UNIX admin, you may be more comfortable with shell scripts or any of the other scripting languages on the command line. Mac OS X is Unix underneath the glossy interface. Open up Terminal and go to town.

3. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Thanks, I did that. I now have rsync working for me. It is far faster. Comparing drives takes 30 seconds. The time to sync changed files obviously depends on how many files have changed.

4. fixed point

fixed point

Jan 24, 2007
    minneapolis
    I was going to recommend rsync, but it looks like you are already there. You may want to check out rsyncx because the version that Apple ships doesn't always handle resource forks and other HFS+ specific items correctly. IIRC, installing rsyncx puts another command line rsync in /usr/local/bin and I call this one from shell scripts to backup my systems.

5. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Thanks! I really like that tool. It has a nice GUI that makes it easy.

6. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I just wanted to follow up and say that RsyncX is the best tool for synchronizing multiple drives. Drag-n-Drop your source and destination drives, select "Archive" and "Delete Unmatched", and press Synchronize.

Thanks much for that recommendation!

7. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Er...I was going to recommend SwitchBack (shareware), but you guys are over my head already :biggrin:

8. What's the difference between the options "Archive" and "Update" ? I had thought the latter would allow only changes between source and destination to be copied across to the target but I've just ran Simple Rsyncx again after a full update and it seems to be starting from scratch again.

What I'm trying to do is keep a locally held itunes folder in synch with a backup on an external USB drive.

9. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Open a Terminal window and type "man rsync" for a full explanation of all the options. Archive is the one I select. Update on looks for changes to the existing files I believe.

10. Thanks, however that gives me usage for the built in rsync in OSX - or am I missing something ?

11. Ok I can see it's working but it's taking ages to compare and sync 40gb data - approx 30 mins. Worse, each subsequent run, with no changes in source is taking the same time. Odd. Off to the rsyncx forum I think.

12. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Yes, but RsyncX is built from "rsync". It is basically made Mac OS X aware (i.e. resource and data forks, etc).

13. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Make sure you check the "Folder Contents Only" box. I had the same problem until I started checking that box. Now it completes very quickly.

14. Yes I see that but on my system "man rsync" gives help on the built-in command.

I solved my issue by making sure the external drive was formatted in Mac OSX Extended. Now rsyncx works as expected. Thanks for your help.

15. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Ah. Yes. I don't recommend using it or NTFS or FAT32 disk drives. It works best with HFS+ drives.